Duplicated SSID Access Point- wifi

lander9

Reaction score
Credits
Before establishing a Wifi Connection(computer Wifi Card to my Wifi modem) I search for available wifi access points. I have this output:
~$ nmcli device wifi list

SSIDMODECHANRATESIGNALBARSSECURITY
*wifi modemInfra154Mbit/s74▂▄▆_WPA2

Then I start the Connection:
~$ nmcli c up wifi connection 1
Connection successfully activated (D-Bus active path: /org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/ActiveConnection/6

The connection is activated, but if I retype ~$ nmcli dev wifi, to list the Wifi access Points then I see that the Wifi access point is duplicated:
~$ nmcli device wifi list

SSIDMODECHANRATESIGNALBARSSECURITY
*wifi modemInfra154Mbit/s69▂▄▆WPA2
*wifi modemInfra154Mbit/s60▂▄▆WPA2

I have only one Wifi Card on my computer(wlp3s0)
~$ nmcli device
DEVICE TYPE STATE CONNECTION
wlp3s0 wifi connected Wifi connection 1
enp7s0 ethernet unavailable --
lo loopback unmanaged --

Last edited:

Hello @lander9, and welcome. You haven't really asked a question or explained why this is a problem for you. Your examples started by showing an active connection.... can you not simply "down" that connection before initiating a new one?

Cheers

when you run "nmcli dev wifi" and it shows you're connected, why are you running "nmcli c up wifi connection 1 "? I'd say the reason you're showing 2 connections after that is because you're creating a second instance of the connection.

Hello @atanere,
This is a problem because Wifi access Points must have different Names.
I think you are not making the difference between:
Wifi Access point Name: wifi modem
Wifi Connection Name: Wifi connection 1

The tables don t show active connections, or started connexions, they show that there are Wifi access points near my location.

Last edited:
when you run "nmcli dev wifi" and it shows you're connected, why are you running "nmcli c up wifi connection 1 "? I'd say the reason you're showing 2 connections after that is because you're creating a second instance of the connection.
@TechnoJunky,
the command: nmcli device wifi list, list the availble Wifi access points. It does not shows if a connection is started.
the command: nmcli connection up ''your wifi connection name'' (not your Wifi access point Name: SSID) connects your Wifi card to the Access point.
Then I am not creating a second Wifi Access point. I am listing what is there, and then I connect to the Wifi access point.

In the example above:
Wifi Access point Name: Wifi modem
Wifi Connection Name: Wifi connection 1

I may be wrong, but I think you are misunderstanding the table that shows a "duplicate" access point. Your access point is a hardware device (probably your router) and there is only one of them, and there is only one SSID displayed, not something with a different name.

When you issue "connection up," your wireless card is attempting a connection. Since the only access point available is "wifi modem," and because you have likely connected to this network before, then it successfully makes that connection.

This all seems to me that your network is working fine... yes? No? Are you able to reach the internet after making the wireless connection?

I've been digging into the nmcli man page, but that is always difficult for me to get a good understanding. I also installed nmcli on my own machine, but my command responses seem different from yours. What version of nmcli are you running? Mine is 1.10.6.

And what distro are you using?

I may be wrong, but I think you are misunderstanding the table that shows a "duplicate" access point. Your access point is a hardware device (probably your router) and there is only one of them, and there is only one SSID displayed, not something with a different name.

Yes, I told you that. The access point name is the Wifi router access point name.
The configuration router imput name is ''wifi modem'' that's the name of the Wifi access point.

There is only one SSID name(Wifi access point name) displayed before starting the connection by the command: nmcli device wifi list
Then after connecting to this Wifi access point, the command displays 2 identical Wifi access point names.

When you issue "connection up," your wireless card is attempting a connection. Since the only access point available is "wifi modem," and because you have likely connected to this network before, then it successfully makes that connection.

It is not because I connected to it before, This occurs when I start the connexion for the first time or after multiple connexions.

This all seems to me that your network is working fine... yes? No? Are you able to reach the internet after making the wireless connection?

Yes, but as I told you Wifi access Points must have different Names.

I've been digging into the nmcli man page, but that is always difficult for me to get a good understanding. I also installed nmcli on my own machine, but my command responses seem different from yours. What version of nmcli are you running? Mine is 1.10.6.

Reading your reply I thought you knew the nmcli commands.

And what distro are you using?
Nmcli version:
$ nmcli -v
nmcli tool, version 1.2.4

Linux version:
$ uname -mrs
Linux 4.8.0-22-generic i686

Computer connection devices:
$ nmcli device show

GENERAL.DEVICE: wlp3s0
GENERAL.TYPE: wifi
GENERAL.MTU: 1500
GENERAL.STATE: 100 (connected)
GENERAL.CONNECTION: Wifi connection 1
GENERAL.CON-PATH: /org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/ActiveConnection/12

GENERAL.DEVICE: enp7s0
GENERAL.TYPE: ethernet
GENERAL.MTU: 1500
GENERAL.STATE: 20 (unavailable)
GENERAL.CONNECTION: --
GENERAL.CON-PATH: --
WIRED-PROPERTIES.CARRIER: off

GENERAL.DEVICE: lo
GENERAL.TYPE: loopback
GENERAL.MTU: 65536
GENERAL.STATE: 10 (unmanaged)
GENERAL.CONNECTION: --
GENERAL.CON-PATH: --
IP4.ADDRESS[1]: 127.0.0.1/8
IP4.GATEWAY:
IP6.ADDRESS[1]: ::1/128
IP6.GATEWAY:

Your network is working correctly, right? I don't see any problems with your devices.

I am not asking for a subjective opinion about the issue here.
It is a computer program malfunction(Network manager or Nmcli) and it has to be better.

Members online