Duel boot GUI from separate SSD's?

Blackkeys1098

Reaction score
Credits
I've got Solus on one SSD and Pop on a separate one. Is there a way to be prompted on start up which one to boot? I'm trying to find something better than jumping into the Asus bios to choose which drive to boot from.

G'day @Blackkeys1098 :)

Which distro did you put on last?

Pop works off grub, but Solus works off systemd-boot, I believe.

There is also a video here that may be of use to you, but I have not tried it myself yet.

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

G'day @Blackkeys1098 :)

Which distro did you put on last?

Pop works off grub, but Solus works off systemd-boot, I believe.

There is also a video here that may be of use to you, but I have not tried it myself yet.

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz
Hi Chris, thanks for the reply

I put solus on first for my daily driver, then installed pop on the other ssd solely for games.

Does the install order matter if the drives are separate as opposed to a partition?

I haven’t watch the video yet but I’m just about to

Does the install order matter if the drives are separate as opposed to a partition?

No, it shouldn't. Only insofar as which one appears on top (I call it the Prime Partition) in a Grub Menu, which you possibly do not have yet, but I can show you how to get one.

Crikey I just watched that video and it looks complex, doesn't it? And as is often the case, the author (who appears to be Portuguese) is too quick on the movements, so I would have to pause it a lot, wind forward and backwards and so on.

It reminded me, though, that I failed to ask you did you install Solus under Legacy conditions or UEFI? If Legacy, it uses Grub, if UEFI then the systemd-boot.

Wiz

No, it shouldn't. Only insofar as which one appears on top (I call it the Prime Partition) in a Grub Menu, which you possibly do not have yet, but I can show you how to get one.

Crikey I just watched that video and it looks complex, doesn't it? And as is often the case, the author (who appears to be Portuguese) is too quick on the movements, so I would have to pause it a lot, wind forward and backwards and so on.

It reminded me, though, that I failed to ask you did you install Solus under Legacy conditions or UEFI? If Legacy, it uses Grub, if UEFI then the systemd-boot.

Wiz
It boots using grub. I’ve installed solus on a bunch of computers and it always seems like to default that way.

I’ll rewatch the video tonight when I’m on the computer, hopefully I don’t have to reinstall it to be uefi

Why don't you just install refind as boot manager ? It enables you to just dump grub and enables you to start from whatever disk is connected, without going through the bios...

Cheers,
Eddy

Why don't you just install refind as boot manager ? It enables you to just dump grub and enables you to start from whatever disk is connected, without going through the bios...

Cheers,
Eddy
I'm not familiar with that. How do I go about finding and installing it?

See https://rodsbooks.com/refind/
You will find all info for installation and usage in the "contents" section...
Basicly you'll start a script that will install the bootloader on your bootdisk, just be sure to pick the right one ! :)
Works like a charm here on our iMac, booting 4 different OS'ses on two seperate disks...
Greetz,
Eddy

Fair comment, Eddy - I can't use rEFInd much, basically because I run 78 distros and it's too much scrolling and trying to identify where I want to go.

But if the OP is already using Grub, then he need only go and edit

/etc/default/grub

to include or amend the line there to say

GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=menu

then run

sudo update-grub

and reboot and see if both are recognised.

Cheers

Wizard

Fair comment, Eddy - I can't use rEFInd much, basically because I run 78 distros and it's too much scrolling and trying to identify where I want to go.

But if the OP is already using Grub, then he need only go and edit

/etc/default/grub

to include or amend the line there to say

GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=menu

then run

sudo update-grub

and reboot and see if both are recognised.

Cheers

Wizard
The solus grub options don't seem to recognize the other SSD. Do I perhaps need to reinstall Pop to boot from grub for it to be recognized? All the videos I'm finding seem to be for 1, both OS's using grub and 2, both OS's are on separate partitions on the same drive.

I was going through my Asus mobo bios to see if there was an option to just prompt me for which drive to boot from on startup without having to spam f2 but there doesn't seem to be one. That alone would placate me but no...

I'm also noticing a general lack of drive awareness across the board. For instance, I have Steam on Pop os and it doesn't recognize my 2tb HDD (HDD just for bulky game downloads). Did I not format the drive properly? One forum post said I have to delete the Steam flatpack but I can't seem to find the proper terminal command for that. Most of my Linux experience over the past 5 years has been with single drive laptop so this 3 drive desktop nonsense that seemed like a good idea at the time has me scratching my head; I'm not sure why these 3 drives are starting out lobotomized.

Last edited:
The solus grub options don't seem to recognize the other SSD. Do I perhaps need to reinstall Pop to boot from grub for it to be recognized?

Can't answer that, I regret. I've only used Solus in January/February 2018 to help a Member here, and it was a PITA to get it off again. Pop!_OS I only run as an Oracle Virtualbox VM under one of my Debian-based distros.

both OS's are on separate partitions on the same drive.

That's a given, unless you are confusing OSes with Distributions (distros). Windows is an OS, GNU/Linux is an OS, Pop and Solus are Linux distros.

Maybe you should look further into what Eddie suggested, that is rEFInd, it might solve the dual-booting issue.

As for the removal of the Steam flatpak on Pop, it should be as simple as

flatpak list

to get the App ID, and then

sudo flatpak uninstall <application-ID>

to get rid of it.

this 3 drive desktop nonsense that seemed like a good idea at the time has me scratching my head;

I run 79 distros on this rig, spread over 3 drives, and have very few problems.

It might be worth your while to stick your nose into our Gaming Subforum and ask around there, on some of these matters.

Good luck.

Wizard

Members online