Dual Monitors

70 Tango Charlie

Reaction score
Credits
Hi All,
I have this goofy idea that I would like to hook up another monitor that is not being used right now.
I would like to see both of them on at the same time - with different screens.
Is this possible?
Thanks a bunch in advance.
Old Geezer
TC

Here are the particulars on the machine:
1.png

2.png

The main monitor is a Samsung 24"
The other is an Acer 24"

I have them both connected with DVI cables.
As of right now, I can only see one monitor at a time. The other one is dark when the opposite one is working.

Is the 2nd monitor detected by your system? If you go to Display settings, does it show one external monitor, or two? If the 2nd one is not shown, is the input set to DVI?

Hello @diggy33 ,
Both monitors are shown in Display settings.
Here's a screenie of the display setting screen.
Dual Monitors-12-16-19.png

Old Geezer
TC

Hi:

This looks like a starting place for learning about dual monitoring.
https://www.zdnet.com/article/using-dual-displays-on-linux/

Here's a Solved thread where someone who had the same GPU as you got it working.

I've never set up dual monitors before. However, this Arch Wiki might give you more of an understanding on how to configure and set up both of your monitors.

You can also use xrandr to set up monitors.

Hope that helps.

Thanks @Alexzee
I'll take a those links.
Old Geezer
TC

Couple troubleshooting steps I would take:
1 - Make sure that the input setting on the monitor is set to DVI, if the monitor has multiple inputs. You should be able to toggle through the setting, or sometimes it is set at auto detect.
2 - Try single monitor set up - Unplug both monitors from the machine, and plug the DVI cable from the monitor that is working (Samsung?) and in to the monitor that isnt working (Acer?) - is there an image on the display?

Couple troubleshooting steps I would take:
1 - Make sure that the input setting on the monitor is set to DVI, if the monitor has multiple inputs. You should be able to toggle through the setting, or sometimes it is set at auto detect.
2 - Try single monitor set up - Unplug both monitors from the machine, and plug the DVI cable from the monitor that is working (Samsung?) and in to the monitor that isnt working (Acer?) - is there an image on the display?
@diggy33
Thank you for your suggestions.
Old Geezer
TC

@diggy33
Thanks for asking.
I've been busy with other commitments for the present so won't be able to explore further right now.
TC

Members online