[SOLVED] Dual booting with Windows and Pop OS

Hbayram

Reaction score
Credits
Hi there,

Can someone please help me with a grub problem? Both Windows and Linux are bootable via the boot options by pressing ESC. However, if I just power up the laptop it boots to a grub> prompt. If I type the commands below, the grub boot menu appears with the boot menu.

Set prefix=(hd0,gpt3)/boot/grub
Insmod normal
Normal

It shows me the grub menu. Choosing either windows or. Pop boots it normally. After logging into pop I typed the following command

Sudo update-grub

However, when I reboot it again goes to the grub prompt. Does anyone have any ideas please?

Hi there,

Thanks for responding.

I gave done:
Set prefix=(hd0,gpt3)/boot/grub
Set foot=(hd0,gpt3)
Insmod Linuxinsmod normalnormalas before, this gets the grub menu up.

Next, in Linux I do:

Sudo update-grub

After reboot again it goes to grub> command prompt

It was root not foot! Typo, but this is the situation as is.
lol Just so you know, you didn't need to write a new post, just hit the edit button and correct the typo. :)

I kind of had something similar happening to me some months ago, in my case, re-installing grub fixed it. You'll need to:
1. Boot to a Live USB.
2. Mount the Linux's partition.
3. chroot into it.
4. Re-install grub.

Thanks for your suggestion. I have gone through that guide to no avail. I think I may have tried everything on the web!

Thanks for your suggestion. I have gone through that guide to no avail. I think I may have tried everything on the web!
At this point, I would suggest backing your data up, and reinstalling Pop_OS. Sometimes it's the only answer, sad but true.

İt is so weird. Both windows and pop os is working fine.
How do you mean? I thought you couldn't boot to Pop_OS, did I get that wrong?

İf I press ESC while booting, I can choose to boot either pop or windows from the bios. İf i just switch the laptop on without touching anything it goes to a grub> prompt.

İf i type the commands in my initial post, the grub menu shows and I can successfully boot either windows or pop. However, if i reboot I always end up at the grub> prompt.

İf I press ESC while booting, I can choose to boot either pop or windows from the bios. İf i just switch the laptop on without touching anything it goes to a grub> prompt.

İf i type the commands in my initial post, the grub menu shows and I can successfully boot either windows or pop. However, if i reboot I always end up at the grub> prompt.
Ah, thanks for the clarification. That's weird indeed. In Pop_OS, launch the terminal and type the following
Code:
$ apt-cache policy efibootmgr
press Enter, then copy/paste the output in your reply.

Sure, no problem. Well, it is installed, I just wanted to confirm that. I'm really sorry, but I'm out of ideas here. Maybe other members can do better @Lord Boltar @f33dm3bits @Condobloke

FYI: I don't have any recent experience with dual-booting. What location are your efi files located at and can you list them? Also what does your grub configuration file( /etc/default/grub) look like or are you using systemd-boot? I think the most recent version of PopOS uses grub as bootloader?

Last edited:
Thank you very much for responding. I have attached some screenshots and my grub.cfg file. Thanks.

Also, Pop OS does not come with Grub installed by default.

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2021-08-16 14-15-44.png
    Screenshot from 2021-08-16 14-15-44.png
    64.5 KB · Views: 335
  • Screenshot from 2021-08-16 14-16-00.png
    Screenshot from 2021-08-16 14-16-00.png
    48.9 KB · Views: 381
  • Screenshot from 2021-08-16 14-16-18.png
    Screenshot from 2021-08-16 14-16-18.png
    53.9 KB · Views: 375
  • grub.cfg in notepad.txt
    7.1 KB · Views: 401
Can you also share /etc/default/grub?

We have been getting more problems recently with Pop os, the primary reason is it has not been developed as a general usage distribution but specifically by American Linux computer manufacturer System76. to be bundled with their own system 76 Business computers, and the components they are built with, subsequently it is one system I personally do not recommend for use with other manufacturers computers.

Bwiz

Thank you. Is this what you mean?

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2021-08-16 14-41-21.png
    Screenshot from 2021-08-16 14-41-21.png
    71.3 KB · Views: 340
  • Screenshot from 2021-08-16 14-41-35.png
    Screenshot from 2021-08-16 14-41-35.png
    44.2 KB · Views: 274
This file: /etc/default/grub

Members online