Dual boot windows and linux

adfr9

Reaction score
Credits
Hello.

I bought a Acer Nitro 5 notebook, which came with Endless OS at one of SSD Driver. On the another SSD driver I installed the Windows 10.

The next step I wanna to proceed is to install the Ubuntu OS over the Endless OS. I have already created a bootable USB with Ubuntu OS.

When I was proceeding with the installation I noticed something very peculiar and I don't know how to procced. I noticed the windows boot manager is located on the same driver I would like to install the Ubuntu OS.

So my questions are:

If I procced with the installation the Ubuntu OS will overwrite the windows boot manager, right? Will Windows installed on dev/sda stop to load?

How to procced correctly with the installation?

ubuntu_installation.jpg

I am not 100% sure as I'd have to test this, but I believe you could technically have Ubuntu install on that drive, Ubuntu would create its own partition (/, swap, /home, etc) as well as the GRUB boot loader, and GRUB should detect the windows installation. You would then have the option of choosing to boot either into your Windows or Ubuntu install through GRUB. In this case you would not need the Windows Boot Manager as GRUB would take over.

Hopefully other folks will chime in as well.

When I first started out I used this tutorial.
It guides you through everything you need to know. my only advice is read it word for word before engaging in the act. ALWAYS KEEP A LIVE MINT BACKUP ON THE USB YOU STARTED WITH.
AS SOON AS YOU DO THAT USE TIMESHIFT AND GET A TIMESTAMP.

what doesn't see quite right is the efi parition as fat16 ; i always thought and have manually set up an efi partiton as type EF00 i.e fat32 using Rodney Smiths gDisk

Basically the EFI partition is common ground it can be used by several OS (if its big enough) looks like circa 60mb spare.

Traditionally for linux you would have a minimum of SWAP partition and root install don't know whats going on with "biosgrub" NVM...2

I think I would delete NVM...3 create say 80gig ext4 for root install and 5-7 gig SWAP parition. lets say NVM..3 80 gig

NVM ..5 swap

Install of linux would involve choosing manual install (uefi mode) ; select NVM 3 for root install of ubuntu don't worry about /home for now

select NVM 5 (you created) for swap . it should share efi partion with WIndows.

A minor glitch at first would be Windows looks lost but is not and you can sort that out later.With any luck yo uwould get a bootable ubuntu and work from there

From windows diskpart to partition the drive on cmd .
diskpart
list disk
select disk
clean
create partition primary
format the drive
assign a drive letter

Members online