Dual boot Windows 10 / Kali [ASUS UX480F]

Lyrae

Reaction score
Credits
Hello,

I have installed Kali (2019.4) last week on my Asus UX480F I had so many problems installing it, it didn’t detect mu SSD (I had to put my SATA Drives into AHCI mode) and after installing it, it freezes sometimes on the login screen and my touchpad doesn’t work 2/5 times. However, I don’t know what to do actually, because I want to get the most out of my laptop with it and no loose my laptop features. I have searched on the Internet couldn’t find any 100% installation tutorial for the Asus UX480F (drivers and everything to configure).
So I am a bit stuck, also I don’t know if I should change to another Kali-like distro which can be more suitable for my laptop.

Kali Linux is a Debian based distribution so you will most likely have to install the non-free firmware.

Looking at that laptop, (provided I found your exact machine, see the link below) it has a Nvidia Geforce GTX 1050 GPU. You'll probably have to install the linux display driver for it. What you want is the Linux x64 (AMD64/EM64T) Display Driver-

Is this your laptop?

If you install the firmware and the Linux driver for your Nvidia GPU and still have trouble and performance issues with your laptop, you may want to try installing Linux Mint which is a lot easier to run if your new to Linux.

As I mentioned in the reply to your other post, I suggest Ubuntu or Mint. Ubuntu does have the driver for the GTX 1050, I know because I have that card as well. They have a friendly app pre-installed for selecting the driver too.

You may have to lookup your devices either Windows or Kali and find the Debian based drivers to install within Kali. I would also verify that you have the repoes added to list apt uses to install software and drivers. I would verify the repoes and run [apt update] and [apt upgrade] before trying anything else.
https://www.kali.org/docs/general-use/kali-linux-sources-list-repositories/

Thank you for the driver link @Alexzee, I will install it.

As many suggested, I will install Linux Mint or elementaryOS so I can get myself into Linux and learn.

Thank you guys

Thank you for the driver link @Alexzee, I will install it.

As many suggested, I will install Linux Mint or elementaryOS so I can get myself into Linux and learn.

Thank you guys
You're Welcome. Always glad to help.

as for drivers, they exist. I think you want to look into nvidia-cuda for that GPU, and almost all your drivers other than cpu are likely nvidia, at least mine are on the tuf506iu gtx1660ti amd ryzen 7 4800. im no expert tho. i have asus and haven't even gotten into graphical desktop with kali. i think Deb will work tho and smooth, possibly try a different theme like KDE or whatever else kali offers. tbh i would rather install those tools in another distro that nobody expects because that is what a true hacker will do when worming in, backdooring, etc. and the distro will boot from a flashdrive to ditch the evidence. I originally started wanting to do anything but use ubuntu on my asus becuase ive used it so many times for about 10-11+ years now. Start there if you want to learn linux. you will learn apt-get and then everything as far as terminal will begin to turn the lights on this entire world.
out of curiosity, what made you want to come to linux to begin with? these PC's are designed to function greatly in windows and pushing past that or within those perams in linux will be a challenge. so many facets to linux if youre not a programmer. learn python and don't close your eyes to any distro because the one that looks the cheesiest will be the one that turns your computer into a monster at your fingertips.

Good luck, welcome to the darkside.

If you continue to have issues with Kali you can install Parrot Linux.

I've been running Parrot Security for a week and it runs great.
I didn't have to install any drivers.

Members online