Dual Boot Ubuntu alongside windows on acer nitro 5 AN515-52 (SSD is not recognized)

EricFonsi11

Reaction score
Credits
Hello, This is Eric.
I want to dual boot ubuntu and windows on my laptop, but I'm facing problems in doing so.
I have acer nitro 5 (AN515-52) i5-8300H CPU @ 2.30GHz, with 16 GB of RAM, 256 GB SSD and 1 TB HDD
Windows is installed in SSD
I have created one 100 GB partition in SSD but when I try to install ubuntu, the SSD is not recognized. I tried everything like disabling secure boot, fast boot, etc. but I didn't succeed, I searched everywhere but nothing helped.
Can you please help me out installing ubuntu alongside windows on my laptop.
I'll be very thankful.

I know nothing about Windows these days, but did you do a full shutdown?

IIRC, and it's just memory, if you shut down Windows the regular way, it's not a complete shutdown. If it's not shutdown, devices may not be recognized.

Again, this is just memory from reading comments elsewhere. Alas, I have exactly zero experience. I didn't even see a Windows 10 computer until a few months ago.

I haven't dual-booted in forever, so I'll just reply so the topic will appear with new posts and hopefully one of the members with recent Windows and dualbooting experience can help you out.

i think think might be that quirky SSD set up in RAID mode, and the Ubuntu installer won't recognize your SSD until you switch your disk setting in the BIOS from RAID to AHCI.

i think think might be that quirky SSD set up in RAID mode, and the Ubuntu installer won't recognize your SSD until you switch your disk setting in the BIOS from RAID to AHCI.
But then I think windows will not be able to boot.
Can someone please give stepwise procedure for dual booting windows and ubuntu.

well i can start it off then maybe you wait until there is a consensus of opinion, or perhaps disagreement :

1a) confirm thats a 64 bit cpu with uefi firmware. look in WIndows system or Windows ICon + R and run msinfo32 .if possible get a screenshot of how your ssd looks now, if not use usb live OS to do that.

1b) backup important Windows stuff to external drive.
2a) make sure you have or create a handy usb with a live OS ,to use utilities if needed.
2b) I would add http://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/getting.html to that , shimmy down to
usb flash image.

3) use that live OS to get screen shot of ssd if you haven't already.Using gParted of live linux OS. Mint has option of running live, with an ICon install on Desktop

4) tweak bios from raid to AHCI.
5) INstall Buntu
install grub by following instructions to ssd would be something /dev/sda if it were old hd

6) don't pannic when you can't boot Windows, instead open terminal and run
sudo update-grub.

grub will be boot manager and can also boot Windows.

7) if you succeed with dual boot , prepare for day when Windows runs update and vandalizes system perhaps even boot info of Linux.

I did once do a dual boot of Linux and Windows and did a manual edit of Lilo boot manager and it could boot Windows. That was some time ago before uefi and a load of other stuff that we have to contend with now

Last edited:
This is the System summary
p1.PNG

p11.PNG

And this is drive information
p2.PNG

My system is 64 - bit

:)G'day @EricFonsi11 and welcome to linux.org

The advice Andy @captain-sensible gave at #5 is likely correct, on RAID being replaced with AHCI.

It may not necessarily be RAID, but it will likely need to be replaced with AHCI.

See this article here, read it carefully and note the resemblance to your environment.

https://community.acer.com/en/discu...ahci-in-order-to-install-ubuntu-for-dual-boot

Now that is from the Acer Community itself. :)

If you follow it, DO be sure you first safeguard any irreplaceable personal data, and make a Rescue or Recovery disk/USB stick so you can replace Windows if need be.

The choices are yours.

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Staff online