Dual Boot Error - Windows 8 and Ubuntu

manover

Reaction score
Credits
I installed latest version of Ubuntu on my surface pro 3 running Windows 8. I am new to Linux so I. wanted to start learning a new OS.

I followed instructions online, created the correct partitions, and Ubuntu was installed successfully. The problem is I can't load Windows 8 anymore. I am downloading the Windows 8 iso file now, but before it finishes I would like to see if anyone can review the pastebin link to verify what's happened.

http://paste.ubuntu.com/25817079/

Thanks!

Slow down... hold off reinstalling from that Windows .iso file... you probably don't need to do that.

Is Ubuntu still booting okay?

I also tried this from terminal in Ubuntu:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:yannubuntu/boot-repair && sudo apt-get update

and

sudo apt-get install -y boot-repair && (boot-repair &)

but got an error also. I'll try again and post the error.

This is the error after trying boot-repair in Ubuntu

sjdJhOb.png

sudo apt-get install -y boot-repair && (boot-repair &)

Those ( ) and final & should not be there. But if it installed properly, you should be able to open a terminal and just type:

Code:
boot-repair

And it should run if its installed. If it says, "file not found" or "command not found".... then do over:

Code:
sudo apt-get install -y boot-repair && boot-repair

That will both install it, and launch it after its installed. I don't think we need another pastebin, but you can try again to see if it fixes the boot error. If not, we'll move on from there.

Those ( ) and final & should not be there. But if it installed properly, you should be able to open a terminal and just type:

Code:
boot-repair

And it should run if its installed. If it says, "file not found" or "command not found".... then do over:

Code:
sudo apt-get install -y boot-repair && boot-repair

That will both install it, and launch it after its installed. I don't think we need another pastebin, but you can try again to see if it fixes the boot error. If not, we'll move on from there.
Getting another error. When I tried just typing in terminal "boot-repair" it says: line 64 not found and line 66 not found

Hmmm, that's unexpected. Try to reinstall boot-repair like this:

Code:
sudo apt-get --reinstall install boot-repair

If successful, try to run it again.

Hmmm, that's unexpected. Try to reinstall boot-repair like this:

Code:
sudo apt-get --reinstall install boot-repair

If successful, try to run it again.
"Command line option --reinstall is not understood in combination with the other options"

"Command line option --reinstall is not understood in combination with the other options"

Well, this is fun. Just so you know I didn't make this up, I do find --reinstall in the man pages for apt-get, and here is where I quoted the syntax... the syntax that didn't work. Sometimes I wish I knew more languages so I could swear better! :confused::D

I don't know if boot-repair is worth all this because it still may not fix the issue. But it doesn't seem to be installed correctly, so let's see if we can fix it anyway. So, let's reinstall it in two steps. First:
Code:
sudo apt-get remove boot-repair

then:
Code:
sudo apt-get install boot-repair

EDIT: Or you can follow this recommendation to reverse "install" and "--reinstall" in the command you tried earlier, or use "purge" rather than "remove" in this command (to also remove config files).

Last edited:
Well, while I'm back here at the moment....

If boot-repair still won't cooperate, you can take a peek at this page as it offers the next "simple" steps that I would try.

1. Boot up Ubuntu, open a terminal, and use sudo update-grub, close the terminal and reboot. Ya' never know.

2. A variation of #1, start to boot Ubuntu but at the grub screen, arrow down to "Advanced options for Ubuntu," and then arrow down on the next screen to the "update grub bootloader" selection, click OK, and reboot. The link above has pictures of this step.

And, if nothing works... there is more to try. I'm just fishing for an easy answer if possible.

Cheers

Ok, SO.... I got busy and couldn't update but there is where I'm at.

I left the surface pro at the office. I came home and tried to dual boot my PC, and now I think I know the correct way of fixing my surface back at the office with two caveats:

1. I'm going to try and repair my surface with a windows 8 bootable usb. If this doesn't work, I'm going to load a fresh copy of windows 8 but I'll have to get in touch with MS to track down my product key as I bought the surface in 2015.

2. I got my PC to load both windows AND Mint. The problem is, I have to manually go into the boot menu and select one. If I turn on the PC and let it start up on its own, neither run. Why is this??

Ok, SO.... I got busy and couldn't update but there is where I'm at.

I left the surface pro at the office. I came home and tried to dual boot my PC, and now I think I know the correct way of fixing my surface back at the office with two caveats:

1. I'm going to try and repair my surface with a windows 8 bootable usb. If this doesn't work, I'm going to load a fresh copy of windows 8 but I'll have to get in touch with MS to track down my product key as I bought the surface in 2015.

2. I got my PC to load both windows AND Mint. The problem is, I have to manually go into the boot menu and select one. If I turn on the PC and let it start up on its own, neither run. Why is this??

That's kinda funny... in another currently running thread, similar to yours (here)... using the BIOS/UEFI Boot Menu was something I had suggested trying. Glad that you can get in that way, at least. At some points in the past (my past) that was the only way I could get some systems to work, but I think you'll probably be able to get a more proper GRUB bootloader working eventually. But then again, I've never put Linux on a Microsoft branded machine yet... so I also won't be surprised if it isn't one of the harder cases to deal with.

I am somewhat familiar with the bootrec program that may be what you're looking for on the Windows 8 install .iso file. With a couple of terminal commands you can restore the Windows bootloader.... but you will break the GRUB bootloader so that Ubuntu then will not start. It's just a trade-off with the problem that you will still have to resolve if you want both.

About product keys... have you looked underneath the laptop? It may be printed on a label there. There are some other ways to fish it out of the registry too, or there used to be. I haven't done that in awhile.

I don't suppose you've tried either of the possible fixes I listed above in post #11?

These might help you with the product key....

https://www.techwalla.com/articles/windows-product-key-registry

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/find-windows-product-key

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/3-ways-recover-serial-numbers-windows/ -- This last one includes a bit of code that you can paste into a file to create a visual basic script. I've used one before (this one, or another) and it worked quite well. The code is simple enough that you know there is nothing sneaky about it, but I don't think it's anything more than the same as a manual lookup in the registry.

That's kinda funny... in another currently running thread, similar to yours (here)... using the BIOS/UEFI Boot Menu was something I had suggested trying. Glad that you can get in that way, at least. At some points in the past (my past) that was the only way I could get some systems to work, but I think you'll probably be able to get a more proper GRUB bootloader working eventually. But then again, I've never put Linux on a Microsoft branded machine yet... so I also won't be surprised if it isn't one of the harder cases to deal with.

I am somewhat familiar with the bootrec program that may be what you're looking for on the Windows 8 install .iso file. With a couple of terminal commands you can restore the Windows bootloader.... but you will break the GRUB bootloader so that Ubuntu then will not start. It's just a trade-off with the problem that you will still have to resolve if you want both.

About product keys... have you looked underneath the laptop? It may be printed on a label there. There are some other ways to fish it out of the registry too, or there used to be. I haven't done that in awhile.

I don't suppose you've tried either of the possible fixes I listed above in post #11?
So I would definitely be interested in restoring the Windows bootoader on the surface pro. I use this for work, so I do need to have Windows running.

Regarding the product key, the surface does have some info on the bottom side, but no product key.

After making the Windows .iso into a bootable DVD or USB... you need to boot it to a "recovery command prompt" (not sure of exact wording). Issue these two commands:

bootrec /fixboot
boottrec /fixmbr

Well, that used to work. It's been awhile since I've needed to do it, so it would be good to double check with Google.

So I installed a new copy of windows 8 from the recovery usb. It seemed to work but I couldn't activate windows! It turns out I think I installed Windows 8 and not Windows 8 Pro. I am downloading the pro ISO now, and will use the product key that the script below got me:

Code:
Set WshShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
MsgBox ConvertToKey(WshShell.RegRead("HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\DigitalProductId"))

Function ConvertToKey(Key)
Const KeyOffset = 52
i = 28
Chars = "BCDFGHJKMPQRTVWXY2346789"
Do
Cur = 0
x = 14
Do
Cur = Cur * 256
Cur = Key(x + KeyOffset) + Cur
Key(x + KeyOffset) = (Cur \ 24) And 255
Cur = Cur Mod 24