Dual Boot Encryption | Best route to follow?

aoib578

Reaction score
Credits
Hey guys,

I have a Dual Boot Manjaro/Windows 10 install on a Laptop.
I disabled Bitlocker on Windows 10 as advised.

Is there a way to encrypt the whole drive with an Open Source encryption solution, and get the pin/password prompt before i get the GRUB Boot GUI to choose which OS i want to boot?
If encrypting the whole drive is not possible, what way you advise?

I would like both Manjaro and Windows Partitions encrypted. But if this is not possible, encrypting Manjaro partition is enough for me.

Please advise here so i don't shoot myself on the foot, as it's the 1st time I've ever installed dual boot. So far i used Linux under (Vmware Workstation), but i moved to Linux permanently!

Considering Wine/Lutris is capable of playing any Windows executables, i consider even deleting the Windows OS and have the entire SSD for Manjaro.

Also please comment on this point so i don't make mistakes.

Thanks a lot for your expertise :)

I use LUKS so the whole disk (128G SSD) has to be encrypted, so I ended up running Win10, Win7 under MX host.
I put the VMs on the original 2T HDD, so space is not a problem.

I use LUKS so the whole disk (128G SSD) has to be encrypted, so I ended up running Win10, Win7 under MX host.
I put the VMs on the original 2T HDD, so space is not a problem.
Thanks a lot! :)

So i can encrypt the whole ssd regardless of having 2 or more OS's, right?

Will i get the pin/password prompt before i get the GRUB Boot GUI to choose which OS i want to boot?

Thanks a lot! :)

So i can encrypt the whole ssd regardless of having 2 or more OS's, right?

Will i get the pin/password prompt before i get the GRUB Boot GUI to choose which OS i want to boot?
Not if you are dual-booting. The last person that replied is running MX Linux as a host and then running two virtual machines with Windows on it, so they are running one os that has virtualization software installed on it. Depending on what you are using Windows for that could work for you but other uses cases dual-boot will be better.

Not if you are dual-booting. The last person that replied is running MX Linux as a host and then running two virtual machines with Windows on it, so they are running one os that has virtualization software installed on it. Depending on what you are using Windows for that could work for you but other uses cases dual-boot will be better.
Let's put it this way.
My only SSD is partitioned both for windows and linux manjaro.
Eventually i will erase windows, and dedicate the entire SSD for manjaro, and maybe another linux/unix distro.

Bitlocker cannot be on, as it messes things up.
Should i get rid of windows asap?
What about when i have manjaro + 2nd distro. Or it's better to just have 1 linux distro only?
Whatever works best; i'm in.

I can run additional distros in virtualbox; and the performance of the ssd is better if it's not partitioned.

It depends how you setup your partitioning, in the cause of dual-booting with two Linux distributions it would be more logical to encrypt your home partition and share that between your two installations. I don't dual-boot I'm sure our multi-boot expert @wizardfromoz may have a few tips for you.

Hello @aoib578

I'm sure our multi-boot expert @wizardfromoz may have a few tips for you.

... a couple, but not to do with encryption, I have not ever used it.
  1. If looking to choose another Linux to install alongside Manjaro, it is worth your while to consider Ventoy as a burning solution for a number of .isos to look at and evaluate. An article here explains how to use Ventoy https://www.linux.org/threads/usb-linux-boot-ventoy.29944/#post-109096
  2. If you install another Linux alongside Manjaro, in most cases that distro will then take the Primary Partition spot (top of your Grub Menu) and in that event, when you try to launch Manjaro, it will go into a Kernel Panic and you will manually have to power down to stop it. You would do well to read my article here to be prepared for that contingency https://www.linux.org/threads/insta...e-other-distro-then-kernel-panic-later.37780/
Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Hello @aoib578

... a couple, but not to do with encryption, I have not ever used it.
  1. If looking to choose another Linux to install alongside Manjaro, it is worth your while to consider Ventoy as a burning solution for a number of .isos to look at and evaluate. An article here explains how to use Ventoy https://www.linux.org/threads/usb-linux-boot-ventoy.29944/#post-109096
  2. If you install another Linux alongside Manjaro, in most cases that distro will then take the Primary Partition spot (top of your Grub Menu) and in that event, when you try to launch Manjaro, it will go into a Kernel Panic and you will manually have to power down to stop it. You would do well to read my article here to be prepared for that contingency https://www.linux.org/threads/insta...e-other-distro-then-kernel-panic-later.37780/
Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz
@wizardfromoz

Dear Chris,

I use Ventoy, and it's a great tool. Whoever created it is a genius.
I will read your article on dual booting with another linux.

My windows/linux dual boot is working very well, apart from the swap partition (that i have to increase); as manjaro is unable to hibernate.

All in all; and considering i will eventually delete Windows; it's better to have the SSD with just one OS. Right?

No point in asking me - I run 75 Linux, and 12 of them are on the 256 GB SSD ;)

Avagudweegend

Wiz

No point in asking me - I run 75 Linux, and 12 of them are on the 256 GB SSD ;)

Avagudweegend

Wiz
@wizardfromoz

Oh that's a lot of distros to manage :)

But from a trouble free perspective?
I moved to Linux to stay, and for productivity!
I am even going to move from manjaro to a ubuntu distro; for stability!
Manjaro is cutting edge, and has many small issues.

@aoib578 said,
But from a trouble free perspective?
I moved to Linux to stay, and for productivity!
I am even going to move from manjaro to a ubuntu distro; for stability!
Manjaro is cutting edge, and has many small issues.
Slackware is the most trouble-free distro, nowadays, IME. But it's not for newbies.

I recommend a xubuntu 20.04 and up flavor with optional ZFS on an entire SSD, or PCLinuxOS. The latter for ease of usage from hardware recognition on install to networking to kernel updates and a helpful distro-specialized community. The Community Openbox version is what I favor, personally.

Best wishes on your Linux journey!

EDIT: a dual-boot is asking for problems, IME. Recommend separate SSDs for each -- M$ and the best. Why fool around with the former?

Last edited:
@aoib578 said,

Slackware is the most trouble-free distro, nowadays, IME. But it's not for newbies.

I recommend a xubuntu 20.04 and up flavor with optional ZFS on an entire SSD, or PCLinuxOS. The latter for ease of usage from hardware recognition on install to networking to kernel updates and a helpful distro-specialized community. The Community Openbox version is what I favor, personally.

Best wishes on your Linux journey!

EDIT: a dual-boot is asking for problems, IME. Recommend separate SSDs for each -- M$ and the best. Why fool around with the former?
@forester

Thanks for chiming in! :)
As you've pointed out, having my entire SSD with "1 OS only", is the most trouble-free setup! No dual boot...!

I have no issues with whatever distro i choose, (concerning the learning curve). I only wish to pick a Stable LTS Distro, and stick to it.

Now one point i have to mention where you could help me make a final decision is.
My primary need for an OS is to do "Front End WordPress Website Development". HTML, CSS, JavaScript, WordPress.
As long as a distro is suited for this purpose (like Ubuntu is); i'm happy!

Slackware/PCLinuxOS are rock solid, safe and secure distros. But from what i googled, don't seem to be the best fit for web development and creative work. Right?

Choosing an ubuntu flavor, I will have to harden it after installation.

Ubuntu Studio - KDE Plasma - https://ubuntustudio.org/ - Is perfect for me; because it's an audio, video, graphics design, and photography oriented OS.
But what about "Front End Web Development"? Will it handle it well?

THE IMPORTANT QUESTION IS:
- Should i choose whatever ubuntu desktop flavour i like and install the audio, video, graphics design, and photography apps that Ubuntu Studio has?

- Or should i choose Ubuntu Studio (considering it was designed, customized and tweaked) to be a creative OS. And install the front end development tools?

- Considering the info provided. What is the best route?

This really is the most important point to consider at this moment.
After i make a choice; if the distro works well for my needs; i won't change it until the LTS support is over!

Anyone doing Front End WordPress Website Development + audio, video, graphics design, and photography (that could chime in, would be great).

Last edited:

Members online