Drumburp - Cross platform FLOSS Drum tab editor

J

JasKinasis

This post is for any fellow drummers here on Linux.org.

A few years ago my band (Kinasis) were writing some new music and I quickly found a need to tab out some of my new drum parts. But there appeared to be a distinct lack of decent tab editors available for Linux. There are a few solutions out there, but they are all general music notation editors, aimed at writing music for other instruments. I also found that those that did support drum notation were quite complicated and time-consuming to get set up correctly for drums.

After a bit of duckduckgo-fu I found this website:
http://whatang.org/

It's for a piece of free-software called Drumburp - a fully featured FLOSS drum tab editor licensed under the GPL V3 and written in Python using pyQT.

Drumburp is a really powerful, yet easy to use tab editor which can export tabs in ASCII format, .pdf, or as MIDI files. You can also export to lilypond .ly format, which allows you use Lilypond to convert the exported .ly file into proper sheet music in .pdf format (extremely impressive!). You can also customise your kit in drumburp to match your physical setup and assign different notation symbols and midi notes/sounds to different parts of the kit. There are also dynamics in there (different hit velocities - accents, ghost notes etc). It's a really powerful little program and extremely easy to use. I highly recommend it to any drummers out there who are looking for a capable, dedicated, drum-tab editor (on Linux, Windows or Mac!)

I've been using Drumburp since one of the early versions. I was so impressed with the software that, aside from donating some cash; I have also helped Drumburp developer Mike (AKA Whatang) with some testing and debugging of Drumburp from time to time. There hasn't been a huge amount of activity since the last release of Drumburp in 2012, but Mike continues to develop Drumburp in his spare time, as and when he can. I wish I could do more to help develop Drumburp, but my schedule over the last couple of years has been way too hectic to for me to be of much use.

If there are any Python devs out there reading this, I'm sure that Mike would be appreciative of any help he could get. The source-code for Drumburp is hosted on Github, so you can fork it and send Mike a pull-request for any patches that you come up with!

In the past Mike has also asked for help WRT packaging Drumburp for various Linux distros. At the moment, the only way to install the program on Linux is to install from source. IMHO, Drumburp deserves to be included in the repos of your favourite distro, it is a great piece of software! But not having any packages available is a hurdle that has to be overcome before this can happen. If anybody with any packaging expertise has some spare time to help; again, I'm sure Mike would appreciate it!

Anyway, Drumburp - highly recommended. Check it out! (See link in the top of this post!)

I have been thinking of learning how to create packages (Debian), so maybe in a couple of months I can help, if someone hasn't come along and already done so. I still have a bit to learn before doing so. Ah, just remembered, I have joined a group on Debian that mentors new users and one of the "lessons" is to help create packages. Perhaps I can use the source code of Drumburp for that lesson?

My finance is a musician (guitar) and is also a musical engineer (I don't know the correct phrase, my music abilities are turning on the radio and finding a station that is playing the Bee Gees) and I am trying to convert him to using Linux. If I showed him some of the great programs that can help with the editing of videos that he records (I really don't know all that's involved) he might go for it. He used to own his own recording studio, but dropped it as it was just a hassle and conflicted with his schedule. Do you know of any programs that would help me convince him to switch? We can take this to private conversation if you like, that way I am not hijacking your thread. ;)

jer2.png
that is so cooooooooooooooooooL.....

Thanks for offering to help with the packaging, I'm sure Mike will appreciate it!
Packaging is something I still haven't looked at properly yet. I started looking at it a while ago, but never got very far with it, due to time constraints!

Getting onto Linux for audio and video:
Most professional digital recording studios use things like Cubase and Pro-tools with Windows, but it is possible to set up your own digital recording studio using Linux.

For true, low-latency audio recording, your distro needs to be running a version of the kernel with a real-time/low-latency patch applied.

Other software required is JACK (Jack Audio Connection Kit), used to control/route all connected audio devices (via MIDI ports, software based virtual MIDI instruments, USB interfaces etc.). And Ardour DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) - equivalent to Pro-tools or Cubase. JACK and Ardour should be available in the repos of most, if not all popular distros!

Then there are tons of other JACK enabled programs and plugins available too, which provide all kinds of effects and virtual instruments. For example there is Hydrogen (JACK/MIDI drum sequencer), one or two virtual guitar amps, various collections of synths are available in most repos. There really is a wealth of software and plugins that you could use to rig up a recording studio (home or professional). You just need to do a bit of digging through your distros repos and find them!

You'll also need a proper USB interface of some kind, which you plug into your PC and can use to plug instruments and/or a mixing desk into your computer. The tricky part there is finding one that has Linux drivers available. My band bought a cheap pro-tools interface to use with one of our guitarists Windows rigs. I borrowed it for a couple of weeks to see if I could get it working on my old Kubuntu laptop.

Eventually, I found a GPL'ed, free Linux driver somewhere online for it, which I downloaded, built and installed.
When I installed Ardour, Hydrogen and JACK etc I was asked whether I wanted to install the low-latency patched kernel, which took care of that problem for me.

The trickiest and most time consuming part was getting Ardour and Jack set up to route the audio properly. But once it was done, that was that! I had my own little recording setup that I could use when I could borrow the interface. Came in handy for demoing things and programming new drum pattern ideas.

Reminds me I really should get that set-up on my new laptop. Still haven't brought myself to face that rigmarole yet! Had to wipe the old laptop and install Ubuntu for my kids when I got the new one.... So I don't have a recording setup ATM! :(

For non-linear video editing, there are a number of different editors available for Linux. Some are more fully featured than others, some are more stable than others. I think two of my favourites are Kdenlive and Openshot. I tend to use both of them in my workflow when editing videos!
The 3D powerhouse that is Blender also has non-linear video editing capabilities, but I haven't had time to mess about with that yet. Not sure how well it works, but I imagine it to be pretty awesome!

Also, if you want to simultaneously capture video and audio from several sources, there is webcamstudio, which pretty much turns your PC into a TV studio!
You can even mix multiple audio/video streams and add effects and stream the mixed output live over the internet from your PC (or save it as a local file!). It's quite an impressive program!

There is a thread on Linux.org dedicated to Video editing software here:
http://www.linux.org/threads/video-editors.6510/

Last edited:
Heyyy, you use DuckDuckGo TOO.....? :) Also, I'll check it out!..... :D BEAM ME UP, GITHUB!!!.....

Excellent! I look forward to hearing from you. Hope it all goes well!
NOOOOOO!..... D': Ugh..... I don't know how to do it, let alone even UNDERSTAND the Python Code..... :( It's bad enough that my depression is coming back in waves now, but THIS.....? :(

Members online