Drivers for Ubuntu 12.04.3

A

azmatkhan

I am using Dell Inspiron 3420 core i3 and Iam going to install Ubuntu 12.04.3,, so where can I find the drivers for my laptop,, I have a driver disc with my laptop from the manufacturers which works with windows 7 and 8, will it work with Ubuntu.

Many of the "drivers" in Linux are included in the Kernel. To some extent your computer should just work. You may need to get some additional drivers for things like video card and/or wifi.

One of the best parts of Linux is how almost ALL the drivers are included in the Kerenel/System. Unless your laptop has the Nvidia discreet graphics, does it? IF so, I can help you install the drivers for it. If it just has the Intel graphics, you should be good. However, if some reason you start to have issues with the Intel drivers, like I have before, you can use the Intel Graphics installer to get more up to date graphics drivers. But, if it is working fine there is no need to change anything.

Also, if the brightness controls are not sensitive enough, I can show you some grub kernel commands to help with the Intel graphics. Only if need be though...

Discard the driver disc as it will be useless with Linux.
arochester has it right, most drivers are included with the Linux kernel. However, I would make a note of any discrete hardware devices you have or at least the graphics card, sound card, and wifi card if applicable as these are the most prone to needing post-install tweaks.

Ubuntu has a large repository and if you do need any driver you'll want to get them from there (running sudo apt-get from the command line although Ubuntu has a GUI as well but I haven't used it) A quick Google search of 'Ubuntu' 'driver' and your device info should give you the name of the driver to install

Members online