Downloading and Installing Linux On Old Laptop

ownitinc

Reaction score
Credits
Hi everyone! I am newbie here and want to use Linux instead of windows 11. I don't know exactly how to start. I have read a couple of responses to some questions in forums about Linux ops, but none that I have read has given me the confidence to start downloading and installing any Linux distribution for my Dell Latitude E6500. I read somewhere online that Linux Lite is good for old pc and for beginners with Linux. I don't know but I want to download and install this ops or any other one better.
Now, how do I get started downloading and installing Linux Lite on my Dell Duo Core: Specifications: 2.26 Ghz, 2.27 Ghz; Ram: 4Gb; System 64 bit x64 based processor. It has windows 10 Pro installed since 2021. I want to remove the windows entirely and install Linux.
Please anyone who knows how I can do this please let me know. Thanks!

Hello @ownitinc,
Welcome to the Linux.org forum.
With that laptop you should be able to run most Linux distros. I would download and give mint a try first in live mode see how it goes. Dell normally use a broadcom wifi card for which you will have to install a driver for after installing the system. But other than that it should work ok. So as a newbie I would try Mint first
Linux light is also a good choice but Mint has a better forum is you get stuck.
This install guide will be of help to you also.

Good luck hope you'll stick with it. There is a learning curve but once your there you'll do fine.
Also there are many here to help. Just ask!

Dell Duo Core: Specifications: 2.26 Ghz, 2.27 Ghz; Ram: 4Gb;

My Dell core 2 duo runs happily with Mint LXDE, also try MX-64 bit, Linux-lite, Debian 64 bit with additional driver pack, Kubuntu/Lubuntu, peppermint 64 bit, All have been tested on mine, also Mint 21.1, & Ubuntu ran quite well. [it didn't like Pop]
It will never be the fastest of machines, but is fine for everyday computing and learning Linux on, You can speed it up a little by replacing the plate spinner HDD with a SSD, 4gb is the max ram for that motherboard,
Read my "How do I install" link below.
any other questions?

Last edited:
You can run anything, but some of the desktops will consume a bit more RAM. Linux Lite is a good choice. Even Lubuntu would still be a good choice, but I'm biased (I am on the Lubuntu team).

Anyhow, here's my generic blurb for this question:

Any suggestions on a Asus E510 Window 11 operating system, i am using a 1TB SSD memory card. Would like to download and use Linux OS as i have some IOT devices such as raspberry pi 4 model b and ardunio uno. I have yet to configure these two devices.

Asus E510 Window 11 operating system,
Welcome to the forums,
The basic spec, any Linux distribution you fancy, However as its a fairly recent machine it may take a little work to find drivers for any cutting edge components.

Hi everyone! I am newbie here and want to use Linux instead of windows 11. I don't know exactly how to start. I have read a couple of responses to some questions in forums about Linux ops, but none that I have read has given me the confidence to start downloading and installing any Linux distribution for my Dell Latitude E6500. I read somewhere online that Linux Lite is good for old pc and for beginners with Linux. I don't know but I want to download and install this ops or any other one better.
Now, how do I get started downloading and installing Linux Lite on my Dell Duo Core: Specifications: 2.26 Ghz, 2.27 Ghz; Ram: 4Gb; System 64 bit x64 based processor. It has windows 10 Pro installed since 2021. I want to remove the windows entirely and install Linux.
Please anyone who knows how I can do this please let me know. Thanks!
I haven't tested Linux Lite yet, but some other lightweight distros. They worked fine, but all of them had here and there issues which needed to be solved. It wasn't that big of a deal, but a real Linux newbie might get frustrated.
I would recommend to start with Ubuntu and Debian based systems, with a desktop environment that isn't too far away from Windows, and try each one out for a few days:
Simply follow the instructions on the websites and have fun.

@ownitinc :-

Welcome to Linux.org.

The kind of machine you're using was produced by the million during the late 2000s/very early 2010s. All had either Pentium dual-cores or Core2Duos, most came with or could go up to 4 GB. They were marginal for running Windows - a seemingly regular occurrence with manufacturers, I'm afraid - but for running Linux distros, these machines have always been ideal.

As Brickwizard says, no.....they weren't speed demons (but neither were they snails); they're middle-of-the-road, and thus perfectly usable on a daily basis, largely due to the introduction of SSSE3 instructions across the board, together with chipset improvements that just made everything work together that much better. This was probably the first generation of machines that really found favour across a broad swathe of industries.....and were used with a vengeance by the modern breed of 'travelling salesmen'. At the same time, manufacturers were innovating with all sorts of new ideas; seemingly, new concepts were being introduced every other week. It was an exciting time for those of us that like the hardware side of things.

Certainly, these machines are still very popular with Linux geeks, and because there were so many produced, it's not yet hard to find well cared-for examples on many auction & refurb sites. I treated myself to a 2008 Dell Latitude last year - Core2Duo @ 2 GHz, 4 GB DDR2 RAM, and a 120 GB SSD - to replace an even older (and much slower) Pentium 4 powered 'brick' from 2001.....which, to be fair, in its turn gave me nearly 20 years of largely trouble-free service.

I'm very pleased with it, and it's running a trio of 'Puppies' with aplomb.

Mike. ;)

Last edited:
I have yet to configure these two devices.

G'day @derrickb042 and welcome to linux.org.

Start your own thread in Getting Started so advice is not conflicting, as it stands you are hijacking someone else's thread.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Members online