Double Distro

• Thread starter Deleted member 143502
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 143502

Hello. I have always wanted to use Linux as my primary distro but; there are some complications prevented me doing this. And, I am seeking for your guidance for these complications.

In near future I will start studying for a Master's Degree and; you know there are some expensive software for specific academic/industrial fields. And, in my country, institutes generally use pirated versions of those softwares because of economical problems and they dictate the students to use them. I am not fan of it, but that is the bitter truth. Moreover, these softwares are generally only available for Windows operating systems so; I have to use Windows and it doesn't matter if I want or not. So, using double distro seems my only option.

I want to install both Windows and Linux distros to my harddrive but; I don't want neither Linux nor Windows to reach other distro's data. I want to separate my harddrive to two pieces with a "Great Wall of China", one half for Linux, other one for Windows. But; Windows will have pirated softwares in it and there will be an infection risk for using those pirated softwares. So; I don't want an infection in Windows to effect Linux. Linux half must always be infection-free. Is there a possibility to achieve something like this? If there is, how can it be achieved?

By the way I am sincerely against all kinds of piracy but; this matter is different.

Also I have an extra question. My android phone might be affected by some kind of spyware and maybe a ransomware. This is a low possibility but; I have OCD so; it drives me crazy. You know, android operating system is a Linux derivative. So; I have a concern. What if a spyware/ransomware in my android phone effect my Linux operating system? Is there a possibility?

If my english is not understandable enough, please tell me. I will try to rephrase.

Last edited by a moderator:

Use a separate hard drive for Linux and one for Windows.

Connect one hard drive at a time and install each OS that way and when both OSs are install connect both hard drives.

If you don't get a boot menu to choose from go into bios and set which hard drive boots first.

Can't say if this setup works with UEFI/EFI Secure boot bios but it works great on my non UEFI/EFI Secure boot bios desktops.

Use a separate hard drive for Linux and one for Windows.

Connect one hard drive at a time and install each OS that way and when both OSs are install connect both hard drives.

If you don't get a boot menu to choose from go into bios and set which hard drive boots first.

Can't say if this setup works with UEFI/EFI Secure boot bios but it works great on my non UEFI/EFI Secure boot bios desktops.
It is a way for sure but; I use laptop. Can't I do something with just using one harddrive?

well @serpens i spent quite some time in Ghana so I know the issue where genuine windows is about a months wages. You can have Linux and Windows on a single HD if there is enough room.

You don't need a wall of China just partitions . Whats on Windows is unlikely to infect Linux or corrupt software. You can run Anti-virus from Linix to clean the Windows if you want. you will be able to boot into either via a splash menu. You can use alterative software to Windows and still produce the same document with pretty good compatability. I once helped someone in Ghana to produce a powerpoint file to be run from a WIndows Pc for there uni talk using Linux. It worked a treat. So if you have say a .doc or docx no problem ; you can use Libreoffice

well @serpens i spent quite some time in Ghana so I know the issue where genuine windows is about a months wages. You can have Linux and Windows on a single HD if there is enough room.

You don't need a wall of China just partitions . Whats on Windows is unlikely to infect Linux or corrupt software. You can run Anti-virus from Linix to clean the Windows if you want. you will be able to boot into either via a splash menu. You can use alterative software to Windows and still produce the same document with pretty good compatability. I once helped someone in Ghana to produce a powerpoint file to be run from a WIndows Pc for there uni talk using Linux. It worked a treat. So if you have say a .doc or docx no problem ; you can use Libreoffice
Thank you for your answer. But; I want to specify one point. When I mentioned about industrial softwares, I didn't mean an office software but; kind of softwares such as Vulcan and Surpac. But; otherwise you were very helpful I will take your answer in consideration thank you very much, sir.

It is a way for sure but; I use laptop. Can't I do something with just using one harddrive?
Bummer on using a laptop but I understand a lot of folks except me prefer them over desktops.

The only way I've ever dual booted Windows and Linux is using two separate hard drives.

the advantage of a laptop is if your in the 3rd world and power is intermittent ; at least with a laptop you might have say 4 hours to work on a libreoffice document or something else

The odds of Windows software infecting a Linux installation on another partition are pretty much zero, pirated or not. By default, Windows can't even see the data on the drive/partition - 'cause it doesn't know how to deal with our disk formats. Just pick something like Ext4 during installation (which it'll likely do by default) and Windows can't deal with that disk format as it's not NTFS or FAT/FAT32 or exFAT.

I have run laptops with multiple systems installed alongside each other [multi-boot] provided your hard drive is big enough there should not be a problem

I don't need to multi-boot I've got a half dozen working desktops Windows, Linux, and Apple Mac, scattered about the house.

don't need to multi-boot
Neither do I now, my current lappy is an Insperon, i have several drives I can swap out in seconds

But; what about Android infection(ransomware, spyware, trojan, worm etc.)? Can it effect a Linux distro?

By the way; I seriously hate smartphones, I may try using WhatsApp via VirtualBox or BlueStacks-esque application (I have heard there is an application called "Anbox") on Linux for this reason in the future.

I don't need to multi-boot I've got a half dozen working desktops Windows, Linux, and Apple Mac, scattered about the house.

Good for you. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
But; what about Android infection(ransomware, spyware, trojan, worm etc.)? Can it effect a Linux distro?

By the way; I seriously hate smartphones, I may try using WhatsApp via VirtualBox or BlueStacks-esque application (I have heard there is an application called "Anbox") on Linux for this reason in the future.
Nothing is bulletproof.

The user is always going to be the weakest link with any OS regardless of what it is.

Make certain the firewall is enabled and run firejail and everything will be fine.

Members online

Latest posts