Does the root user have its own configuration files for terminal settings?

C

CrazedNerd

For example, if i wanted to change the superuser's prompt string (i'd think this would be a bad idea), is there a place where you can do that on a standard linux system? What about environment variables and configuration files for text editors? I tried doing it the logical way:

Code:
cp .nanorc /

but the nano settings stay default as superuser (nano just stays the same as it is originally instead of using my settings). This is the only way i'd really want to change root user's settings, root does share my aliases with my normal user account from the home folder though...

Do you mean /root/.bashrc?

In that directory you could probably create and then edit the nano config as well, assuming that's your ultimate goal.

Do you mean /root/.bashrc?

In that directory you could probably create and then edit the nano config as well, assuming that's your ultimate goal.
that did it: i was a little confused because you can change to the "/" folder which i guess is the ultimate root directory in the system, but appears to just contain all the other directories...whereas the "/root" folder appears to contain all the settings for the root user. Now my settings for nano are the same.

I was wrong about the aliases being the same, i'll have to copy that as well.

As a tip for others, if you are looking for a command you have issued previously, there is also a separate

.bash_history

for you, the user, and one for you as root.

Wiz

As a tip for others, if you are looking for a command you have issued previously, there is also a separate

.bash_history

for you, the user, and one for you as root.

Wiz
Yeah i noticed that, i would think having a master history file would be better for single owner desktop systems but i guess the devs tend to make these distros with server/network use in mind.

Last edited by a moderator:
tend to make these distros with server/network use in mind.

It's because Linux is designed as a multi-user OS. That's as true on the desktop as it is on a server. This compartmentalization, including keeping the root user separate and the regular users with limited permissions, turns out to also be not terrible for security.

But, yeah... We hardly ever personally have multiple users, other than our user account and root - though you'll have multiple other users on your system, you're not really logging in as those users. (cat /etc/passwd to show all the users, though you may already know this).

Members online