Does installing a new distribution change my IP

innacc

Reaction score
Credits
So basically my school has this horrible firewall and because I downloaded viruses for testing on a virtual machine, they IP banned me. The problem with changing my IP through something like ifconfig is that this school assigns a new IP when you first log onto the WIFI and you are stuck with it forever. I was wondering could I install a new distro to make it look like i am a new computer connecting so it gives me a new IP or is there anything else I could change to make it look like I am a new PC connecting for the first time.

Does installing a new distribution change my IP

no

2. would it not make more sense to negotiate with the school, give an undertaking not to download viruses, and regain your legitimate access?

chris turner
wizardfromoz

is there anything else I could change to make it look like I am a new PC connecting for the first time.
MAC address. But there are lots of other ways to identify your computer.
The advice offered above by @wizardfromoz would probably make the most sense.

OK thank you. I'll try to spoof my Mac address if that doesn't work I'll negotiate. Thank you

So basically my school has this horrible firewall and because I downloaded viruses for testing on a virtual machine, they IP banned me. The problem with changing my IP through something like ifconfig is that this school assigns a new IP when you first log onto the WIFI and you are stuck with it forever. I was wondering could I install a new distro to make it look like i am a new computer connecting so it gives me a new IP or is there anything else I could change to make it look like I am a new PC connecting for the first time.
If I was you I would try ask them for legitimate access to the network. If they catch you on the network with a spoofed ip and Mac then they will likely ban you indefinitely. Approach them honest and open and they will respect you more for your efforts. Try to remain white hat , if you hack your way in without permission that’s pretty black hat!

Members online

Latest posts