Documents folder missing

Desertsquid081

Reaction score
Credits
Hi. I recently was using the move command to move a file from my Documents folder to a memory stick. When I was done, I saw that I had an icon (red or yellow triangle with an exclamation point in it), and an error msg saying to check the spelling and that the Documents folder didn't exist. I know I screwed up the mv cmd. I tried looking on the memory stick and there's a documents folder on it. I've tried several things to move the Document folder back to where it was and tried recreating a document folder all to no avail. Using the terminal, I used the mkdir cmd and created a Document folder, but the Linuxmint 19.3 software isn't recognizing it. I'm not worried about recovering the data that was in it, although that would be nice, but I would like to get the file system back to normal and don't know how to do that short of reloading the software and starting over. Thanks.

GdayDesertsquid, Welcome to Linux.org

Do you have Timeshift installed and set up ?

Which Linux are you running?....version etc ?

Condobloke,

Yes I do have Timeshift. I guess I need to read the instructions. I tried using it and it didn't seem to work. I'm using Linuxmint 19.3.

I can guide you through setting it up.
probably a bit late now.....but better late than never.
Do you have an External hard drive you can use to store the Timeshift snapshots ?

When you say it does not seem to be working, can you describe how you set it up and also how you have gone about trying to restore a snapshot ?...It may be worth following just to see if we can provide a shortcut to finding your Documents folder.

Would it be a plan to get your Documents folder back first ?

I actually dont know how to accomplish that, but I will do some quick research.

The member's name below is someone who may be able to help or offer suggestions

Last edited:
Can you make a screenshot of where you are getting a red or yellow triangle with an exclamation point in it and share it here? And can you open a terminal and share the output of the following.
Code:
ls -l $HOME

Condobloke,

Here's my Timeshift page. I haven't done any set up. What's in the picture is default when I originally installed Linuxmint 19.3.

1618237123502.png

I used the restore button for the 3/21 image. I thought it was working. I got a list of stuff that it flagged on the dry run but nothing happened after that.

Condobloke,

You asked about the file set up I have presently. Here it is. I used mkdir to create a new Documents folder. It's not showing up on the file system GUI that Linuxmint provides. If I could get that fixed, I'd be happy.

1618237428129.png

When I was done, I saw that I had an icon (red or yellow triangle with an exclamation point in it), and an error msg saying to check the spelling and that the Documents folder didn't exist.
Where are you seeing this error because I'm only seeing a screenshot of your Timeshift snapshots which looks fine and as you said your "Documents" folder exists because you recreated it.

That Timeshift window you have shown a pic of...Is Active.

You have 5 snapshots stored on /dev/sda1
This is probably your main hard drive....it has 423.9 GB free space.
It is not a good place to store snapshots, but that is for another time.

The snapshots are there.
I would choose the most recent....it is perhaps more up to date ?

Click on the snapshot you are going to restore.....a single left click will select it.
Then click on Restore
1.png

You will see the above ^^^....your device will be different...possibly sda1...?
boot & home would usually stay on root device....bootloader options...leave it alone.
Click on Next
Timeshift will compare files (dry run)....be patient.
The next screen...
2.png

^^^....leave it alone......Just click NEXT
The screen will revert to looking blank, but will eventually start to replace files....it could take a while depending on how much activity has taken place on your pc since the snapshot was taken. again, be patient.

When it has finished, it will Automatically reboot.
Providing your Documents folder was in place when that snapshot was taken then it should be back where it belongs now.

To avoid any problem like this happening in the future, I suggest you learn how to create an Image of your System and create one every month or so, using Foxclone or Macrium Rescue Media. ;)

If any disaster should occur...HDD or SSD failure being the worst, it's a simple matter to restore your System Image and be up and running is about 15 to 20 mins with nothing lost. :)

Don't rely on Timeshift because it's not a backup tool as stated by the author...
It is designed to protect only system files and settings. User files such as documents, pictures and music are excluded. :eek:
https://github.com/teejee2008/timeshift

Members online

Latest posts