document scanner software (3.36.3) - how to scan IMAGE and the result to be black and white

marbles

Reaction score
Credits
hi all,

i'm just trying to scan in something as an IMAGE and the result to be black and white

in document scanner software (3.36.3);

when its set to TEXT the result is black and white

but when you set it to IMAGE, the result is color

i do not see any color or b&w options in "preferences" (in either of the tabs)

thx for any help

What is the name of the scanning software ?....and is this in Linux Mint 21.1 ?

As @Condobloke has asked what scanner are you using and which distro? We need a bit more info to be of any help.

To be frank - as a graphic design hobbyist of over 40 years standing - if what you want to do is to scan an image as black & white.....and the scanning software doesn't actually provide an option to do this!.....I would approach the problem from a different angle.

Rather than attempt to modify the image at the scanner software level, why not make the image itself black & white before you try to scan it? This way, even with the scanning software set to 'Color' for images, it'll have to scan the image as-is.....because it now won't contain any RGB color information.

(Obviously, do this with a copy of the original image, NOT the original itself.)

Make sense? Even on dedicated, 'expert' forums like this, people can often get blinkered into thinking there's only ONE way to approach any problem. Linux has always been about the DIY, alternative approach to things.....but sometimes, solutions can simply be about thinking "outside the box", coming at problems from a different direction, and just exercising a modicum of common sense.

Just my two-penn'orth, FWIW.

Mike. ;)

Ok since the op has not choosen to answer the questions. I'll make some assumptions here. In most distros skanlite is available you can set that scanner to gray scale or color and should do what the op wants. Or you can add the plugin to gimp called QuiteInsane and use it and in gimp you can modify the scanned image and export it in any fashion you like.

@kc1di :-

Hm. I run an Epson all-in-one - always have run Epsons, in fact, as far back as ever I can remember - and I use a 'standalone' build of Skanlite in preference to Epson's own ImageScan! for Linux.....'cos, quite simply, it works better.

It appears to be one of the very few KDE apps that's NOT integrated with, and thus requiring the full dependency list of the Plasma desktop in order to run. I found an AppImage build of it somewhere - not the very newest, but still fully-functional, nonetheless - and built it into a Puppy-portable.

Works for me, at any rate.

Mike. ;)

I no longer deal with printing/scanning/copying. If something like that is needed, the people who need it will provide it for me.

But, I'm pretty sure every scanner I have ever owned, including all-in-one devices, included the ability to pick black and white on the device itself. You needed to do it on the device itself and then press the scan button. The computer would pick up that a scanned document was being sent to it and whatnot.

The latter bit was on Windows devices. I dunno if I ever tried this with Linux - and I don't think I have.

Members online

Latest posts