Docker desktop for linux?

Rob

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Credits
At work I have a macbook running osx and a macbook running Linux.. I also just started with a different team that heavily uses kubernetes.

One thing I really like in OSX is the docker menu in the panel where I can quickly switch between clusters. I've since found kubectx (see other thread) but do wish we had it in Linux as well, but all I can find is docker ce?

Is there a 3rd party tool that mimics that docker desktop feature, but made for linux?

I'm using xfce btw..

I haven't used Docker, but I searched and found

https://dzone.com/articles/a-comparison-of-docker-guis

and in part, it says, of Dockstation:

Multiple Docker Clusters
If you click the pencil icon next to the current cluster address, you will notice that you can add more, making Dockstation useful for managing more than one cluster in the same interface. It also provides a search field to look for particular images or containers across all those clusters.

If that is the sort of functionality you are looking for, then see

https://dockstation.io/

Cheers

Chris

There are many doker for Linux such as Plank, Doker and Cairo-Dock. In my opinion Cairo-Dock it the best. So I try it under fluxbox, distro Slackware 14.2 x86-64, whith some problems, so with Xfce it works so fine! My tested

There are many doker for Linux such as Plank, Doker and Cairo-Dock. In my opinion Cairo-Dock it the best. So I try it under fluxbox, distro Slackware 14.2 x86-64, whith some problems, so with Xfce it works so fine! My tested
Hey there Linpassion - thanks for the reply, but i'm looking for something similar to docker ce .. to work with docker containers, etc.. (docker.com).

Hey there Linpassion - thanks for the reply, but i'm looking for something similar to docker ce .. to work with docker containers, etc.. (docker.com).
Ok I'think You a re lloking for a dock for Linux :)

This is an old thread but I'm sure more people will be searching for an answer to this question so:
I found VSCode https://code.visualstudio.com/Download makes kubernetes, or docker management a pleasure. For a Microsoft offering it's surprisingly Linux friendly (and surprisingly, free). Combine it with the Kubernetes and Docker plugins is a great tool to deal with Kubernetes clusters -- you can manage local on-prem (like Docker EE or PKS) clusters side by side with cloud provided ones, by just combining entries in a kube config file. VSCode runs nicely on Linux .... Also to manage local containers take a look at kind: https://kind.sigs.k8s.io/docs/user/quick-start/ lets you run a baby cluster inside a container ... Nice mechanism to run local containers just like they would in the "real" world not standalone ....

I'm not sure running a docker container as a full blown OS has any advantages over a VM.
For what it's worth docker is "old news" now. Podman is all the rage. Kubernetes actually works
as good or better with pod containers than it does with docker containers.

as a side note: virtually all docker commands can be replaced with podman.
for example...
docker ps ... becomes podman ps
docker images ... becomes podman images
...etc.

Okay,
There's a simple answer to this question that doesn't involve asking people to switch to something other than docker...
No. There is no equivalent docker integration in Linux to what Docker Desktop offers in Windows or MacOS.

That is the straight forward answer.

If I find any interface that provides similar functionality in Linux, I'll update my answer.

Regards

G'day @jlumpkins and welcome to linux.org :)

This Thread is nearly 2 years old, but we leave them open in case the OP returns with news, and for others to share with what may help people interested in the subject, just as you have been kind enough to share with us.

Our erstwhile Administrator, @Rob when he gets time, may be able to update us with what he found, if any, as a solution.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

docker desktop doesn't really seem to offer anything that the docker/podman/vagrant modules for cockpit offers.

docker desktop doesn't really seem to offer anything that the docker/podman/vagrant modules for cockpit offers.
I think @Rob meant a dock(not docker) where you can launch the applications from because he mentioned like the OSX menu.

Wiz

I guess my mind is still waking up, still early here. It is kind of confusing since when someone mentions OSX dock menu that's the thirst things that comes up.

No worries mate, as we say here. Takes 4 coffees to wake me, and my wife might debate that that works. :)

Members online