Do you use linux at work?

In my company where i work we have around 80% Linux (Ubuntu and CentOS), 10% are Macs and one Windows Client.

There are a lot of places of work with the PC, but there are many professionals who use Linux for programs dedicated to facts hoc do not think it's harder for them to Linux. I guess it's even easier to interface with the open source world I think a lot depends on familiarity with applications. It is favorable to multiplatform is making inroads using blender for 3D graphics in small studies that do commercials. in school you can safely switch to Linux for everything with many applications and are suitable for free. My impression is that a good percentage of the PC business could move to Linux.

No. I honestly don't know what system is used. I'm pretty sure its not Linux though. We are supposed to be getting a brand new system in a few months. I can't wait! They computers at work stall especially the time clock program. :(

We don't use Linux at work. I have been used to using windows OS, but just recently for about 3 months now i am slowly trying to familiarize myself with Linux. A lot of my workmates recommend it so its worth giving a shot.

I wish - I get so frustrated sometimes when Windows decides to start thrashing the harddrive and I can't even finish composing an email in M$ Outlook.

I do not use Linux at work or on the school computers basically because they do not allow you! They are so restrictive about how you use the computer they give you and don't want you messing with any of the "Internal Settings".

I wish - I get so frustrated sometimes when Windows decides to start thrashing the harddrive and I can't even finish composing an email in M$ Outlook.

Your hard drive probably has some serious issues? Maybe it's wearing out over time... The major problem i have is overheating and usually Hard drives have a treshhold limit of 45 C before they start to creep out.

Your hard drive probably has some serious issues? Maybe it's wearing out over time... The major problem i have is overheating and usually Hard drives have a treshhold limit of 45 C before they start to creep out.
Nah - every time that I check to see what it's doing, I see that it is either the employer-imposed Symantec do whatever it wants in the middle of my workday, or the swap file is getting beat up because I've used my 8GB RAM by running Outlook, SQL Server Enterprise Mangler, Visual Studio 2010, and IE9 at the same time.

Nah - every time that I check to see what it's doing, I see that it is either the employer-imposed Symantec do whatever it wants in the middle of my workday, or the swap file is getting beat up because I've used my 8GB RAM by running Outlook, SQL Server Enterprise Mangler, Visual Studio 2010, and IE9 at the same time.

Ah yeah Visual Studio's is usually the RAM killer, i don't use the application but i've noticed it's usage on a couple of my universities systems. Also Maybe you switch to SSD's for faster performance and reliability.

Yes! Enova is a Ruby on Rails environment that uses Debian Linux. We're always looking for top talent and currently are hiring for a Sr. Linux Administrator. (Chicago, IL)
Please review and check out our current openings at your convenience!

I had used Linux in my last job but now i am working on windows.

Members online