Do you think people should use Debian or Ubuntu? Tell me which one and why.

It may seem a bit pedantic, but Debian is incorporated. SPI Inc, as memory serves. They're an incorporated NPO. All the major distros will be corporations - and not even non-profits. RHEL is a for-profit corporation, as would be Oracle's and probably a few more.

There are all sorts of corporate entities and not all corporations are bad. That's my point, really.

Debian doesn't cost anything, but needs all these partnerships with for-profits in order to exist like Ubuntu.

It may seem a bit pedantic, but Debian is incorporated. SPI Inc, as memory serves. They're an incorporated NPO. All the major distros will be corporations - and not even non-profits. RHEL is a for-profit corporation, as would be Oracle's and probably a few more.

There are all sorts of corporate entities and not all corporations are bad. That's my point, really.
It's not my problem if they make a profit, I wish they do make profit from the distributions. My problem is in what degree they serve the interests of their users. I didn't knew Debian is a company but I believe they serve the interests of their users as they are also a community. For Ubuntu the only bad thing that I have heard is that many years ago they were tracking their users for Amazon, I hope they have change since then

The point being that not all corporations are evil. One of my favorite incorporated entity is EFF.

The point being that not all corporations are evil.
Not only that, but i don't even believe in good and evil as a dichotomy...to me, what people call evil is practically synonymous with "stupidity" and "ignorance". For example, Bill Gates and Steve Jobs stepped on a lot of toes to accomplish what they did: could they have led better lives if they didn't? I think they could have, Bill Gates can still make windows open source! I think that would be really neat, even though i don't know if it would make "the world" a better place to live in. I think open source is better for the environment though, just because people can more easily just copy/paste operating systems and put them on cheap computers that nobody wants.

Anyways, this recycling of this topic is somewhat coincidental. The ebay purchase of the cheap laptop didn't go through (i was gonna erase windows and install FreeDos with arch..), but recently i've been thinking i'm just going to re-format my desktop again with FreeDos, Debian, and Ubuntu Studio just for the hell of it once i get some other things cleared out of the way...probably won't be till the spring.

Answering the OP's question:
Debian, but my current Linux desktop happens to be Ubuntu MATE at the moment.

Many moons ago, I was taught to use "shutdown -r" rather than "reboot". It is an old habit and not a bad one. The differences between the two commands are subtle and have changed over the years. For Linux users reading this, the difference does not matter anymore. Use reboot if you like it better.

In Debian, /usr/sbin/ is not in the default PATH for most users other than root (and using "sudo"). In Ubuntu, /usr/sbin is in the default path for all users.

Here is Debian from an "admin" account with sudo privileges:

adminuser@debian11:~$ which reboot adminuser@debian11:~$ adminuser@debian11:~$ echo $PATH /usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/games:/usr/games adminuser@debian11:~$ sudo which reboot /usr/sbin/reboot adminuser@debian11:~$ sudo echo $PATH /usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/games:/usr/games adminuser@debian11:~$ # NOTE: The path above is for the unprivileged admin user. adminuser@debian11:~$ sudo su - root@debian11:~# whoami root root@debian11:~# which reboot /usr/sbin/reboot root@debian11:~# echo $PATH /usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin root@debian11:~# # NOTE: The path above is for root. root@debian11:~#

Here is Ubuntu from an "admin" account with sudo privileges:

adminuser@UbuntuMate2204:~$ which reboot /usr/sbin/reboot adminuser@UbuntuMate2204:~$ echo $PATH /usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games:/usr/local/games:/snap/bin adminuser@UbuntuMate2204:~$ sudo which reboot /usr/sbin/reboot adminuser@UbuntuMate2204:~$ sudo echo $PATH /usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games:/usr/local/games:/snap/bin adminuser@UbuntuMate2204:~$ sudo su - root@UbuntuMate2204:~# whoami root root@UbuntuMate2204:~# which reboot /usr/sbin/reboot root@UbuntuMate2204:~# echo $PATH /usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games:/usr/local/games:/snap/bin root@UbuntuMate2204:~#

DISCLAIMER:
My normal working account is an unprivileged user account that does not have sudo privileges, not the "admin" accounts demonstrated above.

Members online