Do you mess with kernel parameters?

SlowCoder

Gold Member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
What kernel parameters do you commonly change from default to unbreak something, or to make your system better?

Example: I use vm.swappiness=10 to reduce swapping to my SSD.

Only if I have to. Which, well, I haven't had to for quite some time. The last time I had to, I had to add noapic to the boot parameters, which should only be a temporary 'fix' until things like the BIOS are updated. By the time I retired the device, it had not been updated to a point where I could remove the command.

If I didn't use it, it'd power off erratically. Fortunately, it was nice enough to leave clear errors in the logs.

Hmmm, very interesting. When I change the grub timeout, is that a "configuration/bash parameter"? I've never altered the linux kernel before.

Hmmm, very interesting. When I change the grub timeout, is that a "configuration/bash parameter"? I've never altered the linux kernel before.
Well, I was actually asking about running kernel parameters, such as those listed in sysctl. But I'm also interested in learning more about boot parameters.

That's a good link. But what I'm actually looking for is settings people may use in the real world.

We do. Those are all probably used by someone. Heck, up above I gave you an instance of me using one of them in the real world -- 'noapic' to be specific. They're added during the boot process,

You'll find the web littered with people suggesting 'em for fixes for problems. Just because *you* don't use them doesn't mean nobody does.

Gotta backlit keyboard that won't work, there's a parameter for that. Getting IRQ errors in your logs? There's like a dozen of 'em you can try. Every time we tell someone to modify their grub and add a boot parameter, odds are that it's on the list somewhere.

We do. Those are all probably used by someone. Heck, up above I gave you an instance of me using one of them in the real world -- 'noapic' to be specific. They're added during the boot process,

You'll find the web littered with people suggesting 'em for fixes for problems. Just because *you* don't use them doesn't mean nobody does.

Gotta backlit keyboard that won't work, there's a parameter for that. Getting IRQ errors in your logs? There's like a dozen of 'em you can try. Every time we tell someone to modify their grub and add a boot parameter, odds are that it's on the list somewhere.
Yes, think of this a sort of social thread, not me asking how to do stuff. Things like "Hey, yeah, I fixed this problem using that setting the other morning! Saved my hide!" I'm curious how often people find uses for the parameters, and in what ways.

I personally haven't had much need to use the kernel params. But the one I mentioned, vm.swappiness is useful to me because I don't want my machine spamming my SSD all the time.

Members online