Do the kernel devs tend to focus on newer or older hardware?

C

CrazedNerd

Just curious, i know that this is a very vague question, but my programming skills are incredibly limited. What are the priorities that linux kernel developers have?

Your guess is as valid as ours, but I suspect newer.

For Justin (Just In Case)

Just in case of any misapprehension on your part, we are not an official arm nor organ of Linux, just scored the dot org name - we are manned by volunteer staff who share a love of Linux and have varying skills in various departments.

kernel.org are on of the main Linux establishments, they may have a better idea.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

As I understand it (and that understanding may be faulty) They tend to concentrate on adding new hardware drivers/patches. to the Kernel while keeping it as backwards compatible as possible. This page may give some more insight. It's a bit dated now but you will get the Idea of what goes into each kernel release. It's amazing that so much can get done so quickly.

Last edited:
As I understand it (and that understanding may be faulty) They tend to concentrate on adding new hardware drivers/patches. to the Kernel while keeping it as backwards compatible as possible. This page may give some more insight. It's a bit dated now but you will get the Idea of what goes into each kernel release. It's amazing that so much can get done so quickly.

yes it is, without even a guarantee of any or much money

i got it, thanks for the info everyone, i also figured that they probably prioritize since we don't see a whole lot of commodore 64s floating around these days, lol

A lot of kernel developers are paid by companies, to generate code that achieves a goal (of the company).

Those companies are very varied; be they related to tech companies (Microsoft wanting code that helps their Azure platform, allows them to incorporate newer features into windows that is compatible with their cloud products; a lot of which run on Linux, etc), to car companies (working on Automotive Grade Linux), appliance manufacturers (Samsung, Panasonic etc), Phone related (Samsung etc), or tech. companies (cloud etc) & more.

Have a look at the companies involved - and what you'll quickly see is it's very varied; with no singular interest (except an awful lot of them are involved in new products!)

I've no special knowledge with kernel, I'm involved with Ubuntu News (so read a bit from different sources about involvement there), plus involved with a flavor of Ubuntu.

Latest posts