Do i need any anti virus for my Linux Mint?

G'day obsoleteuser, and Welcome to Linux.org

A anti virus is not necessary.

However, be SURE to enable your firewall.

Open Terminal (ctrl alt T) will open it......the copy and paste what i have typed in below in red.......

sudo ufw enable

....then hit enter.
you will be prompted for your password....type it in (you will not see ANY response when you type......just put the password in, this is normal)....and hit enter again

Thats it. Nothing else is necessary.
The firewall will now be turned ON each and every time you startup or reboot

If you feel the need to check if it is on.....

sudo ufw status will let you know that it is active. Thats it.

Welcome to the wonderfully simple world of Linux.

You will no doubt have many, many questions.....bring them on. We are here to help.

G'day obsoleteuser, and Welcome to Linux.org

A anti virus is not necessary.

However, be SURE to enable your firewall.

Open Terminal (ctrl alt T) will open it......the copy and paste what i have typed in below in red.......

sudo ufw enable

....then hit enter.
you will be prompted for your password....type it in (you will not see ANY response when you type......just put the password in, this is normal)....and hit enter again

Thats it. Nothing else is necessary.
The firewall will now be turned ON each and every time you startup or reboot

If you feel the need to check if it is on.....

sudo ufw status will let you know that it is active. Thats it.

Welcome to the wonderfully simple world of Linux.

You will no doubt have many, many questions.....bring them on. We are here to help.[/QUO

:cool:

Hi obsoleteuser
I found this quite confusing when I came across. Others have stated the reasons why it isn't necessary, nor is defragging or using cleaners (although some will disagree and there is one available). In windows etc., we get so used to having to have them, that we feel lost without them at first. Apart from the firewall, just sensible precautions with surfing and downloads are needed. I was given the advice of using the software packages that come with your distro in software manager if you can - if not come on here and ask about something and you'll get the best answer - Enjoy Linux and being here

For anyone who downloads files from the internet or opens e- mail attachments, it may be a good idea to have a scanner. True, there are fewer viruses and the like for Linux than Windows and Macs, but this is changing. Read my article on ClamAV for help on installing and using it. Sometimes it is better to be safe than sorry. It is also helpful on a dual boot system to find viruses which Windows may have.

edited ....kapoof !

Last edited:
Back on track again. :)

Linux does offer a number of antivirus alternatives and products. If Debian and Debian -derivative/descendant users, that is Debian, Ubuntu Linux Mint &c, check in their Synaptic Package Manager or Software Centre, you will mind a number are in your Repositories. ClamAV is one such product.

Not so well known is that there is a GUI front end for ClamAV, for those who may not be comfortable with Terminal command line work. That option is

ClamTK

Again look in Synaptic or other to find it.

Following is a screenshot from where I have just installed it on my Ubuntu 16.04 LTS with the Unity DE

VPrRSl9.png

Note that I have just installed this, and not run Updates, hence the signatures are not complete.

Also note that at the top of the entry screen there is a question mark in a blue circle, that is Help, which is likely well worth the reading, I will be doing so.

ClamTK can be installed as easily as ClamAV, in this case with

Code:
sudo apt-get -y install clamtk

... the -y option there is a shortcut you can use when installing from your Repos, it simply says Yes to making the changes.

As a part of the output generated with the install, I found

Suggested packages:
clamav-docs cabextract clamtk-nautilus libclamunrar7

and because I do not know about the product, I installed those as a separate command

Code:
sudo apt-get -y install clamav-docs cabextract clamtk-nautilus libclamunrar7

Then I went to my Ubuntu dash, typed in clamtk and you have seen the screenshot.

Sophos

Sophos are a well-known security provider in Windows and I think Macintosh, they also have a free Linux product some of my former colleagues spoke highly of.

Go to https://www.sophos.com/en-us/products/free-tools/sophos-antivirus-for-linux.aspx

... choose Get Started and go from there, requires Registration. I have not used it.

Finally, make alternativeto.net your friend for all things from Windows you would like to see a Linux alternative for.

Simply Google "linux antivirus alternatives" and scroll down a couple, you will find it. Look for the entries at their site which say Linux.

I am not going to advocate for or against the use of AV products in Linux. I don't use them but it is a matter of personal choice!

Linux is no better than other OSes if it does not allow the User choice.

So if you feel more secure using them, go ahead. You are the driver behind the wheel that is your Linux vehicle, your computer.

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Members online