Do I need a Firewall Installed? Solved

• Thread starter Deleted member 111282
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 111282

Even though I've been using Mint for 10 years, I've never installed a firewall because I'm not familiar with using one, and I never thought about if I needed one or not. I'm not the kind of person that would be a notable target for hackers (and I'm aware I don't need be notable to be a target), but would be fine if I didn't have it installed?

Firewalls are for your protection.

Just FYI, I read somewhere that cybercrimes are up almost 600% since COVID started. At my work, we are in a full-court press to increase our security due to this fact.

Something to consider.

Firewalls are for your protection.

Just FYI, I read somewhere that cybercrimes are up almost 600% since COVID started. At my work, we are in a full-court press to increase our security due to this fact.

Something to consider.

Good to know. Here's what's listening to my machine:
Code:
 PID/Program name   
tcp        0      0 127.0.0.53:53           0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      557/systemd-resolve
tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:631           0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      613/cupsd           
tcp6       0      0 ::1:631                 :::*                    LISTEN      613/cupsd           
udp        0      0 0.0.0.0:5353            0.0.0.0:*                           611/avahi-daemon: r
udp        0      0 0.0.0.0:60906           0.0.0.0:*                           611/avahi-daemon: r
udp        0      0 0.0.0.0:59359           0.0.0.0:*                           6877/jami-gnome     
udp        0      0 127.0.0.53:53           0.0.0.0:*                           557/systemd-resolve
udp        0      0 0.0.0.0:631             0.0.0.0:*                           705/cups-browsed   
udp6       0      0 :::5353                 :::*                                611/avahi-daemon: r
udp6       0      0 :::54706                :::*                                6877/jami-gnome     
udp6       0      0 :::46603                :::*

I'd like to know which IP address I should use to keep out the nasty people

Last edited by a moderator:
Linux Mint has ufw installed by default so you have one already installed but it may not be enabled. You can check that by running.
Code:
sudo ufw status

ufw blocks incoming by default, so if it is enabled you should be good to go.

I have a "SonicWall" hardware firewall that's disconnected at the moment. I think it has been at least six months since it was hooked up. I took it offline when it would no longer update and while it wasn't letting something through (TeamViewer - maybe? Maybe when I was trying to make a VPN?). It hasn't been enabled since and I haven't used a software firewall in ages.

I'm behind a NAT and don't do any port forwarding and only let local traffic access SSH and the likes.

The missus' connection, on the other hand, is just behind a NAT and I've got a server that I remotely access on that network. She'll be fine!

Members online

Latest posts