Do i have to cut the swap?

L

laohe912

Do I have to cut the swap?

Someone said I needn't to cut the swap,just the "/" is enough.

Right?why?

What is the context? The problem? We need more information.

Do I have to cut the swap?

Someone said I needn't to cut the swap,just the "/" is enough.

Right?why?

In general, swap is very useful. Technically, you do not need it. In other words, your system still boots and works just as it usually does. However, the swap space allows your system to have extra temporary memory if your real memory gets too full. Also, when you hibernate your system (not suspend or sleep), all of the memory is written to the swap space. If you do not have a swap space or swap-file (rarely used), your system may become slow when the memory fills up, but your system still works. The swap space is highly recommended, but technically, it is not a requirement. I hope this helps.

In general, swap is very useful. Technically, you do not need it. In other words, your system still boots and works just as it usually does. However, the swap space allows your system to have extra temporary memory if your real memory gets too full. Also, when you hibernate your system (not suspend or sleep), all of the memory is written to the swap space. If you do not have a swap space or swap-file (rarely used), your system may become slow when the memory fills up, but your system still works. The swap space is highly recommended, but technically, it is not a requirement. I hope this helps.
tyvm!!

I say don't compare yourself to others knowledge wise - Take your time and learn more in doing so.

Generally swap is considered an advantage, but it does have disadvantages as well and can slow down your PC if not properly configured.

Since swap uses your hard disk it is much slower than RAM memory and can cause swap thrashing if overused.

If you decide to configure swap space I'd recommend following the bottom-part of this guide: https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-add-swap-on-centos-6

Specifically where it talks about configuring kernel 'swappiness'. This will tell the kernel how often to rely on swap space. I would configure a low number, the tutorial uses 10 which is good but nothing higher than 40-50 imho. Not sure if the steps will apply to all distros as this tutorial relates to Centos but just my 2 cents.