Do any of you run Minecraft servers with only the terminal?

L

lucasbytegenius

Do any of you run Minecraft servers with only the terminal? Like no GUI or anything, just you, an SSH client, the server, and the minecraft server jar.

I run a small server for my friend and it's been an interesting experience learning how to use SSH and the terminal remotely.

My son plays minecraft - and has been wanting a server.. maybe i'll set one up for him and let him use it to learn linux a little more!

I haven't played Minecraft a lot, and i never made any plans to setup a server based on it. But i've ran a Counter Strike Server Just on the Terminal that included -

- Downloading & Installation of the HLDS server with a bit of help online.
- Downloading and Installation of Maps
- Starting and Stopping the server
- Installing MOD.s and Plugins like AMX and Anti-hack security plugins.
- Editing and modifying Configs to enable Anti gravity and other stuff.

I used to do all of these via SSH, i haven't heard of any GUI or ever used one for CS 1.6.

I never ran Minecraft server, but I hosted SAMP server from terminal too. It's actually easier than doing it from in-game (like on some Windows home-servers).

hm..., i want to run a server in the next Days. Maybe i can make a small howto....

We'll see....

so far
akendo

I have run and set up a few Minecraft servers. I generally run Minecraft/Bukkit on CentOS, and then use the screen command to make sure that it's running all the time. Make sure you use screen otherwise the server will stop as soon as you exit SSH - I've learnt the hard way.

I have run and set up a few Minecraft servers. I generally run Minecraft/Bukkit on CentOS, and then use the screen command to make sure that it's running all the time. Make sure you use screen otherwise the server will stop as soon as you exit SSH - I've learnt the hard way.

I learned that the hard way as well. Previously, I didn't know about the existence of screens in Linux. I thought that was an awesome feature.

Damn, running it on Linux sounds so complicating. I ran it once in Windows, it's basically point and click.

Sure, where does the server saves it content? Where are the logs and where i can't define a configuration file?
When it's running out of the box it's fine. But it's a black-box and i may have to investigate this much more to get this knowledge.

It can also turn quickly to a jack on the Box....

Sure, where does the server saves it content? Where are the logs and where i can't define a configuration file?
When it's running out of the box it's fine. But it's a black-box and i may have to investigate this much more to get this knowledge.

It can also turn quickly to a jack on the Box....

Well if you need a GUI, you can FTP into the server with something like Filezilla. And the Minecraft server's folders are laid out the same as the Windows server's.

I never ran Minecraft server, but I hosted SAMP server from terminal too. It's actually easier than doing it from in-game (like on some Windows home-servers).

Uh? Confucius is confused ?

I thought you just said :

I generally run Minecraft/Bukkit on CentOS, and then use the screen command to make sure that it's running all the time.

Well, I set up a new CentOS VPS for my 13yr old son and gave him the ip and the root password.

About 10 minutes later he was connecting to it from his minecraft game :)

He downloaded putty, found a tutorial on setting up minecraft on CentOS.. I showed him how to use putty.. and it's currently running in a screen session on there.

I set up a server a month ago for my nephew. He had a 1 year old laptop that he had destroyed the screen on. I took it home and did a lot of research. I started with mineos and could not get the network card installed. I had the same problem with Debian. I found that the network card installed on the laptop had known problems and I found the apple USB network card worked well in Linux and it did not work with mineos but did with Debian so I went with Debian. I got that installed. My nephew wanted bukkit so I installed that. I use the command line most of the time but I installed webmin so my nephew could do some things if he wanted to. I set the server to only allow 5 users because it is on my home connection. I read that my uverse connection would not handle more than that.

All you really need to know is
Screen
Rm to renae files
Mv to move files
Unzip to unpack plugins
Wget to download updates
Cd to change directories

Staff online

Members online