Dmenu or Rofi wont work in Arch VM using virt manager

Techforay

Reaction score
Credits
This is the first time using virt manager instead of virtualbox. I created a new virtual machine of arch and am using DWM with no DE. For some reason i cant get Dmenu or Rofi to work. When i use the mod b key to get dmenu the the desktop bar goes away but no dmenu. Is this a VM thing or am i doing something wrong.

What you’re seeing is expected behaviour.
Unless you’ve modified the keybinds in your copy of dwm - mod + b is the default keybind to show/hide the top-bar.

The default keybind for running dmenu is mod+p

What you’re seeing is expected behaviour.
Unless you’ve modified the keybinds in your copy of dwm - mod + b is the default keybind to show/hide the top-bar.

The default keybind for running dmenu is mod+p
Thank you so much. That was the issue. I got some bad information on what the keybind was.

I went into the config.def.h file and changed the keybinds. It made no difference. I rebooted after the change and still no change. I have tried to investigate how to change keybinds in DWM but am not finding much. Can someone tell me what i am doing wrong. I am working inside virt manager.

To modify the keybinds for dwm, you need to download the source code and edit the keybinds in config.h, then build and reinstall dwm from source.

To modify the keybinds for dwm, you need to download the source code and edit the keybinds in config.h, then build and reinstall dwm from source.
Thank you. I have used I3 before as a window manager and you can change the keybinds without rebuilding the package. I sure appreciate the help. Can you also tell me the difference between config.def.h and config.h?

I
Thank you. I have used I3 before as a window manager and you can change the keybinds without rebuilding the package. I sure appreciate the help. Can you also tell me the difference between config.def.h and config.h?
I found the answer to the above question. Thank you

When you first download the sources for dwm, you only have config.def.h. The first time you build, the Makefile creates config.h from config.def.h.

Building dwm isn’t too difficult, it doesn’t have a lot of dependencies. I can’t remember them offhand, I’m not near my PC this weekend either. I think it’s just the xlib headers and optionally, xinerama - if you want dwm to work with multiple monitors.

Before compiling dwm, it's wise to check the paths to the libraries in the file: config.mk.
The dwm defaults are:

X11INC = /usr/X11R6/include
X11LIB = /usr/X11R6/lib

but in debian the paths are actually:

X11INC = /usr/include/X11
X11LIB = /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu

I don't know what they are in arch, but it might be worth checking.

Members online