Dithering effect on photoprints after switching to Linux

Gelsse

Reaction score
Credits
Hi!
My first post on this forum...
I use a Lenovo Thinkpad T540p with Linux Mint 20.3 Cinnamon.
I print through USB on a Canon Pixma iP7250 . I use this printer mainly for photo printing. And it does its job quite well. This is one of the less expensive printers which can also print borderless. I like that feature.
I used Windows until a while ago, than switched to the above mentioned version of Linux. Tried to make some photoprints, but they came out with a very striking dither effect. Like it was printed on a ´90´s bubble-jet printer, or some kind of noise/grain, while also not reproducing the colours like it should.
I installed the following drivers: cnijfilter2-5.00-1-deb, cnijfilter2-5.50-1-deb, cnijfilter-ip7200series-3.80-1-deb . I tried those 3 because i read on different websites/forums i needed these.
The problem stayed. I also went through all the options the driver gives me. The only thing which gave a small improvement of the print-quality was the ´Dither algorithm´-option. When I changed that from ´default´ to ´adaptive hybrid´ it was.
Anyone has any idea on how to approach this printing problem? I am a quite new Linux-user. I am not working in IT, so to say :)

I made a photo of a print. this is in reality, on paper, appr. 3 cm x 4.5 cm.

print.JPG

Make sure you have the full CUPS installed [mint-software manager-search cups-usually 1st entry.

Make sure you have the full CUPS installed [mint-software manager-search cups-usually 1st entry.
Thanks for the fast reply.
I do have CUPS installed (sorry for missing out on that on my first post), together with printer-driver-gutenprint. I can also acces the web interface of CUPS through http://localhost:631 .

I haven't used a canon for years, the only other thing I can think of , again in the mint software manager is if cups-backend-bjnp has loaded,

Thanks again!
I installed cups-backend-bjnp. That did not change anything.
I also read somewhere I should modify the printer in cups by providing the right PPD file, which I did. After I did that, the printer did not print anymore, printing-tasks were immediately cancelled.
A message prompted (manually, so roughly, translated from dutch into english):

missing printerdriver​

Printer ´iP7200-series´requires the program ´/usr/lib/cups/filter/pstocanonij´, but at the moment this program is not installed.​

I do have a foler pstocanonij inside the folder structure of the drivers I downloaded. It has an install file, which reads:
To build and install pstocanonij:

1) Building misc libraries.
cd ../libs
./autogen.sh
make
cd ../pstocanonij

2) Building "pstocanonij".
./autogen.sh
make
make install

Appendix:
* You can also set the following options.
--prefix

--enable-progpath
cif(ex.cifmp230)

Example:
./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr --enable-progpath=/usr/local/bin
make
make install

Unfortunately, I do not know how to install this, with these commands....