DistroTube made me smile

SlowCoder

Gold Member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits

He seems to bounce a bit, video to video. I'm pretty sure he's previously posted videos to the opposite. But I got good feels from this one.

"Stick-to-it-niveness", lol.
Wierd grammar aside, I think it's a good thing that it's getting mainstreamed, but a bad thing if it gets too "user-friendly" because that causes bloat and feature-creep and distros that I trust and are solid, i.e. Debian eventually try to "keep up with the Jones's" so to say. As for BSD, at least FreeBSD, it's not elitest, just more stable. The only thing stopping my using it on my notebook is lack of complete hardware support and less software/features -- essentially what kept me from installing only Linux 10+ years back. So in another decade, who knows?

I think the important thing is the FOSS become ubiquitous, not coz I want free software. If that was my only motive, I'd crack stuff. For me it's about trust. I trust Debian not to spy on me and I trust the maintainers to patch any software that may. I trust it to be stable for my main machine. I trust that stuff will be patched, and trust that my system is secure because it's mainly under my control. I also trust that a shite decision by devs leads to a fork in software and I can carry on using my preferred version. That, and my ability to customise my entire environment and, obviously the consistency of the CLI. Summarised: freedom.

Members online