Distros that maintain up-to-date packages?

rail5

Reaction score
Credits
I've often run Debian - if I open a fresh install and run Debsecan, I see CVE's posted 10+ years ago for software that should've been updated almost just as long ago. The Debian people say they prefer "stability" and "thorough package testing" before deployment - well, I've seen language change in my life, but I'm surprised to see that "stable" now means "full of Arbitrary Code Execution vulnerabilities."

Are there any distributions with a sincere focus on security? Up-to-date packages and reproducible builds?

AFAIK the Linux distributions that are known for being stable apply backporting to their packages. Which means they patch the older packages with upstream security updates, both Debian and Redhat do this so other Linux distributions do too.

Last edited:
There are not such a 100% updated Linux distros yet, but if you have Debian, you can try to install updates not from repos, but each time new software directly from soft main page. For example, updated and fresh Libre Office deb file, you can find here - Libre Office 64 bit deb.

You might wanna try 'man debsecan' and then scroll down to 'caveats'.

Members online