Distribution suggestion for old laptop

RG_2108

Reaction score
Credits
I need a distribution for pentium p6100 2 gb ram laptop
Please suggest the best for this case
I am new to linux so please suggest one with less terminal work.

Welcome to the forums
Your pentium p6100 is a 64 bit 2gh twin core 2010 processor, with 2 gb of ram it will run any distribution of Linux albeit slowly on heaver builds like Mint cinnamon, my recommendations is you look at medium weight distributions such as MX-64 bit, Peppermint, Linux-Lite, Kubuntu or Debian with driver & codec package
depending on make/model on a 12 yr old laptop you could upgrade the ram to a maximum 4gb, which will improve working speed, but i would still go for the lighter distributions.

Adding onto what my peer said, I can also advice checking out Lubuntu and Xubuntu, they are based on Ubuntu but they use the LXQT and XFCE desktop environments respectively, both being very light-weight, and you can per-use the vast majority of help resources for Ubuntu available on the web.

Welcome to the forums
Your pentium p6100 is a 64 bit 2gh twin core 2010 processor, with 2 gb of ram it will run any distribution of Linux albeit slowly on heaver builds like Mint cinnamon, my recommendations is you look at medium weight distributions such as MX-64 bit, Peppermint, Linux-Lite, Kubuntu or Debian with driver & codec package
depending on make/model on a 12 yr old laptop you could upgrade the ram to a maximum 4gb, which will improve working speed, but i would still go for the lighter distributions.
Welcome to the forums
Thank You for the suggestions

If you can, it's not terribly expensive, upgrade your RAM to 4 GB and you can run anything - but it'll still be fairly slow compared to more modern hardware.

My thoughts on the matter of best distro:

The above remains true even if you have a limited selection due to hardware limitations.

surprised to see no mentions of alpine, as it's based on a lightweight C's standard library (must-libc)

Geez Louise, it is the weekend ... early days yet ;)

I usually refer beginners with "challenged specs" to this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light-weight_Linux_distribution

which, as you might guess, includes Alpine.

I then tell them that I run 75 Distros, and that 8 of those lightweight ones are or have been in my stable and I can give opinions.

If they find the numbers still daunting, I tell them what I have recently written elsewhere here

https://www.linux.org/threads/begin...t-distribution-i-should-use.41580/post-168045

Cheers, and welcome to linux.org, both @RG_2108 and @treeshateorcs (a likely fan of Tolkien)

Wizard

Good club to be in - both Tolkien and here at linux.org :)

Antix, it is very stable and very lightweight and also easy to install.
Puppy linux, bodhi linux.
Whatever you use keep in mind to select lightweight desktop environment as others have already mentioned.
Like XFCE, LXDE.
You can also try systemd free distros, as an example Artix linux.
(forgot to mention that antix and puppy are also systemd free distributions)

Members online