Distos for the visually impaired

Jeffrey Lapinski

Reaction score
Credits
Hello All,

I have a friend who is "legally blind" although he is not totally blind and has some vision. I am trying to help him find a Linux distro. A quick search yielded a few hits on Linux for visually impaired but most are quite a few years old. Does anyone know of current projects/distros that are made for people with visual impairments?

OP
Jeffrey Lapinski

Jeffrey Lapinski

Reaction score
Credits
Thank you! It looks like there were a few projects in the past, most seem to be discontinued.

wizardfromoz

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
In amongst the searches as recommended by @arochester is Vinux, which I have used for closer to 4 years than not.

Based in Britain originally, its CEO for the last 3 years has been one Rob Whyte of Tasmania, the southern isle off Australia.

Vinux has the advantage of being able to choose from 3 DEs at login - Unity, GNOME and MATE, for comparatives to the sight-challenged.

Some of the choices of Distros (Vinux included) will ship with the Orca Screenreader enabled which can be annoying but can be switched off.

Sonar was a good one, but is now discontinued.

BTW Vinux is based on Ubuntu's 14.04 'Trusty Tahr', which means a lot of updates initially, and I am not aware of Rob's plans for after April 2019 when 14.04 has its EOL (end of life).

Wiz

$100 Digital Ocean Credit
Get a free VM to test out Linux!