Disk Space issues after upgrade

R

ryanvade

Hello,
I am having an issue of disk space on my laptop. Root has 96 GB. I upgraded some software, at the time I had around 13 GB free space in Root. During a reboot the system froze and I had to REISUB. When I started the laptop again I was in Low graphics mode due to having less than 300 Mib of free space. I have been getting rid of software for a while. I got rid of Gnome 2 and Gnome 3. Removed lots of unused applications. Yet I am still at only 385 Mib of free space. Is is possible that the file system was corrupted in some way when I had to REISUB. I thought that procedure was supposed to reduce the risk of file system issues.

Thanks for any ideas.

I don't know how you went from 13GB to 300MB just from the upgrade. Have you checked for any large log or core dump files? Did your upgrade perform some type of backup? If you think your disk has corrupted nodes, boot into "single" user mode and run fsck. Make sure you are in single user mode. If you run fsck in a multi user state you'll end up doing alot of damage.

Last edited:
Poke around in /tmp and /var/tmp. Also depending on your Linux flavor there may be a package cache that is full of old packages.

I ran fsck from KNOPPIX, no issues found. Cleaned out /tmp and /var/tmp.. No changes. Very odd. I had to transfer some free space from Windows...Still looking into this.

Code:
# du -ks /*
9776    /bin
1143380 /boot
47925144        /build
4      /cdrom
4      /C:\nppdf32Log\debuglog.txt
4      /dev
126328  /etc
85594932        /home
18394724        /lib
3568    /lib32
4      /lib64
4240    /libx32
16      /lost+found
16      /media
4      /mnt
1698832 /opt
du: cannot access ‘/proc/9982/task/9982/fd/4’: No such file or directory
du: cannot access ‘/proc/9982/task/9982/fdinfo/4’: No such file or directory
du: cannot access ‘/proc/9982/fd/4’: No such file or directory
du: cannot access ‘/proc/9982/fdinfo/4’: No such file or directory
0      /proc
7172    /root
du: cannot access ‘/run/user/ryanvade/gvfs’: Permission denied
1620    /run
19984  /sbin
4      /selinux
4      /srv
1048580 /swapfile
0      /sys
92      /tmp
22969908        /usr
1751832 /var

mysql does not seem to be running no.. Not according to Boot-up Manager

If I were you, I would look into some of the large directories to see if some files should not be there. I can't tell which directories are part of root and which are not. I guess the /home is not part of the root since it's like 85GB+. Now you have a 47GB+ /build, a 22GB+ /usr and a 18GB+ /lib. If these directories are part of root, these are the likely directories where the 13GB disappeared into. I'm guessing you have a /usr/local directory structure, poke around for any large log files. Since you finished upgrading your software and you had 13GB available, it sounds like something may have erroneously generated some type of output prior to you bouncing the server.

The reason I ask if you were using mysql is because mysql will create transaction log files if transaction logging is enabled and the files will continue to rotate to a new log file when needed and it will lead to having the older transaction log files removed.

I also suspect that you may have run out of disk space.

Last edited:
If you have a graphical package manager like Synaptic, you can sort the installed packages by size. The larger unwanted packages can be uninstalled.

You could search / for file created around the time of the reboot that seems to have messed up the system. Find these files and delete them if they can be removed.

Are /build and /swapfile on the root?

/build is where I build stuff from source. Like kernels, OpenCOG, Cuda, etc. I have been slimming it down. The swap file is 2 GB.. Perhaps I should double check that..

If you have a graphical package manager like Synaptic, you can sort the installed packages by size. The larger unwanted packages can be uninstalled.

You could search / for file created around the time of the reboot that seems to have messed up the system. Find these files and delete them if they can be removed.

Are /build and /swapfile on the root?
How can I sort installed packages by size in Synaptic?

How can I sort installed packages by size in Synaptic?

Once Synaptic is installed, click "Installed" in the left box. Then, click the "Size" column to sort the listed installed applications.

Members online

Latest posts