Disk drive health

Hi Jeffrey, also take a look at TRIM articles. TRIM is for ssd's only.

Google "linux ssd trim", and check the articles from opensource.com , ArchWiki, Debian Wiki, and the ubiquitous Easy Linux Tips Project. :)

I have yet to TRIM my own new one (bad Wizard :(), but now that you have started this thread, I will galvanise myself into action (yeah, right :rolleyes:)

Cheers

Wiz

Hi Jeffrey, also take a look at TRIM articles. TRIM is for ssd's only.

Google "linux ssd trim", and check the articles from opensource.com , ArchWiki, Debian Wiki, and the ubiquitous Easy Linux Tips Project. :)

I have yet to TRIM my own new one (bad Wizard :(), but now that you have started this thread, I will galvanise myself into action (yeah, right :rolleyes:)

Cheers

Wiz
I ran smartctrl as @arochester suggested and the drive “passed”. I was wondering because of all the trouble I’ve had installing Manjaro KDE and Antergos, and oddly although Mint Cin rubs well I can hear a drive whirling? Strange.

I figured as much. The Man of 1,000 Links is usually right on the money, and a pass is a pass is a pass :).

I don't know enough about TRIM or SSDs (yet) to help further, but wondered if the other, 128GB SSD has any comparisons?

Wiz

The ArchWiki (maybe others) cautions to check first that your SSD supports trim. I think most do, but enabling trim on a drive that doesn't support it may cause data loss. So you might want to check Wizard's references carefully.

As for laptop #2 w/ the 128 GB SSD no issues at all! I've installed and run multiple Manjaro, Antergos, Mint (Cinnamon and xfce), Kubuntu without an issue. They are both ASUS laptops w/ 8th gen Intel i7 processors. That is what initially led me to think it was the Nvidia card and why I now wonder if it is the drive itself

I can hear a drive whirling? Strange.
A drive? Or a fan? Fans have been known to run continuously in Linux when they may have been more silent in Windows. If a fan, there may be fixes available, but that would best go into another thread of it's own. See if you can better determine the source of the sound.

Cheers

That’s a thought. I will keep a close “ear” out to see if I can determine which it is.