Disappearing icons from tray

rado84

Reaction score
Credits
This morning the Deluge and the Telegram icons that normally sit in the tray disappeared. Meaning that there's only an empty space where icon should be.
Some time ago I read something about that with a possible fix but I can't remember where I found it. At the time I had never encountered this problem, so I figured I didn't need it. But now I do.
So, does anyone know anything about a fix? I tried replacing the original icons with my own and they work fine everywhere, except for those in tray - these remained transparent empty spaces.
The distro is in my signature.

G'day @rado84 :)

Mint Cinnamon 18.3 - Have you not enabled Timeshift to take a snapshot yet?

Once you have the problem sorted, you should.

I'll have a scout around and if I find something, I'll report back here.

Is there anything to be said for purging and reinstalling the pair, or is there associated data that will be lost?

Wizard

Ghosting the system is easy and restores everything in less than 2 minutes but I wanna find the reason for the icons to disappear from time to time.

@rado84

This may or may not be relevant to your situation but:
A while back I installed the Private Internet Access Manager for my vpn. It is a program and service I have used for years with no problems whatsoever. After installing the latest version on My Linux Mint 19 all of the sudden the app indicator in the system tray is gone. It showed once but after re-boot was gone. I checked and the application was indeed running but I had no tray icon.

The simple 'fix' was to add a 5 second delay to the startup of the application. Voila - problem solved!

@Vrai , I'll keep that in mind but in my case it was a program that I start manually - Deluge. It worked fine for a few days and suddenly the tray icon disappeared. This is one of the very few problems Mint has and I wish I could find a way to fix it, instead of just do program hopping or ghosting the system.

@Vrai , I'll keep that in mind but in my case it was a program that I start manually - Deluge. It worked fine for a few days and suddenly the tray icon disappeared. This is one of the very few problems Mint has and I wish I could find a way to fix it, instead of just do program hopping or ghosting the system.

It's those 'little annoyances' which become aggravating over time for me.
That is the reason I upgraded my laptop running Mint 18.3 to 19.
It seems to have fixed some issues I was having but probably introduced some new ones o_O

I have this issue with one program, Trillian. It has been happening since Mint 17 and is still doing it in 19.1. The program is a Windoze program, and it runs in Wine. It not only loses the tray icon after a few days, when I reboot the program it displays a messed up double icon. I always wrote it off to an issue with Wine and haven't thought much about it. The program runs just fine, even if the icon has disappeared. Oh yeah, when the icon disappears there is still a space in the tray for it.

I have this issue with one program, Trillian. It has been happening since Mint 17 and is still doing it in 19.1. The program is a Windoze program, and it runs in Wine. It not only loses the tray icon after a few days, when I reboot the program it displays a messed up double icon. I always wrote it off to an issue with Wine and haven't thought much about it. The program runs just fine, even if the icon has disappeared. Oh yeah, when the icon disappears there is still a space in the tray for it.
With Windows programs ran using with Wine that happens a lot. I saw it many times, especially with Steam for Windows when I was trying to run a game I own in Steam. Well, the game never ran ofc, but the Steam icon was doubled and at some point it was even trippled, lol.
But the issue I described and whose reason I wanna find is with a native program - Deluge. And ever since the tray icon disappered the program didn't return from tray whenever I clicked the empty space. Even the browser didn't detect it anymore.

Every icon has a file that gives a path to the executable the icon represents.
This file is under /usr/share/applications/*.desktop.
If the path to the executable in the *.desktop file gets broken, the icon disappears.
The fix is a correct path to the executable.

Executable ?.....you have been playing in winblows for too long !

thats better !!!! ;) :cool:

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts