Different Versioln?

Granny Sue

Reaction score
Credits
Hi Guys,

I think I'm posting in the correct place, if not, let me know. I have an old PC that I want to switch over to Linux. I alreaady have an old PC that I have installed Linux Mint on, and so I think I'd like to try a different version. I'm thinking perhaps Ubuntu or Cinnamon. I am not knowledgable about programming or anthing like that. So I need simple and easy and will take any and all help and assistance I can get. What would you suggest?

Both of your suggestions sound good. Also, consider Kubuntu and Lubuntu. Ubuntu Mate may look different than what you're used to, but it's worth a shot.

Expand and grow, try a different Linux family!
Mageia. Manjaro. Proxmox. PCLOS.
If something other than Mint is desired, then get away from all 'buntu-derived distros, is my suggestion -- try Arch, RedHat, PCLOS, Slackware, Debian and Independents -- it's a big FOSS world out there. Why limit oneself?

Whatever you decide on.....Put the ISO on a thumb drive, boot the PC to that thumb drive and have a play !!

Nothing to go wrong, all good fun.

Tell us the specs etc of the PC first......they will have a direct impact on what you can run

Thanks for all yur great suggestions. I'll have to plug in the old PC and get the specs and post them. I guess I was thinking "ease of use for newbie" as the reason for staying within what I know a little bit about. But I'm open to trying new things so I'll be re-thinking about what to try out next.

Hi again, finally got that ol' Acer plugged in and wound up with a PC that gives me nothing on the monitor (says, no signal) and a beep error code of 2 long beeps. There is a switch next to the on/off switch. It is red and is imprinted with "115". which when switched is imprinted with "220". I am assuming this is referring to the electrical current and I have it set on "115", although I did switch it to "220" a couple of times so I hope I haven't destroyed anything. I looked up both the user manual and the service repair manual and got no anwers out of either. The service manual Table of Content shows a section called "Error Beeps and Symptoms" but I could not find the section. If any of you have any ideas, please feel free to clue me in. Or if you know of another forum I can turn to, I'd gladly take that info also.

And now I'll take this frustrated mind of mine and go in search of....... :confused:

115/220 is the Voltage for all electrical appliances.

In the USA, it is 110

You will not have done any damage....switch it to 110 and leave it there.
Make sure you turn it off, and unplug it before switching it. Then start it off fresh.

A couple of reboots may help wake the poor thing up too !!

Last edited:
I have an old PC
How old? What's the Acer model #? Maybe we can find the beep code list.

More than 10 years old? Change the BIOS battery on the motherboard (CR2032, available at drugstores, Walmart, etc).

Be sure keyboard is securely plugged into the correct port on the back. Old keyboards were often color coded with purple plugs (mouse was green). Be sure video cable is securely attached at both the monitor and the back of the PC.

If you have the case open to replace the battery, and if you are comfortable inside the case, you can also re-seat the RAM chips, re-seat cards like video card, sound card, network card, unplug and re-plug hard drive and CD/DVD cables. Don't disturb the CPU except to carefully vacuum heatsink and fans. Vacuum other fans and dust from inside.

BE SURE TO REMOVE POWER CABLE FROM BACK OF COMPUTER BEFORE OPENING CASE!

NEVER, EVER, WORK INSIDE THE CASE WITHOUT REMOVING THE POWER CABLE!

115/220 is the Voltage for all electrical appliances.

In the USA, it is 110

You will not have done any damage....switch it to 110 and leave it there.
Make sure you turn it off, and unplug it before switching it. Then start it off fresh.

A couple of reboots may help wake the poor thing up too !!
You know, I thought 115 sounded strange. I don’t think I can get it to 110 I think there was only the two options. I’ll look at it again tomorrow.

115 is fine. Most US households are somewhere between 110 and 120.
Supposedly 60Hz, but I've seen anything from 58 to 61.

Members online