Different read and write permissions.

Reaction score
Credits
Hello everybody,

How are you doing today?

Some time ago I had an issue where it happened in such a way that I had to re-install Kali Linux 3-5 times.
Linux was installing properly each time, however there was something i noticed.

When installing a Kali Linux that was bare bone, which means that it was the light weight desktop environment and as little applications as possible installed - i had issue writing on USB flash drive. It simply told me that i don't have permissions.

I didn't find a fix for that, but please note that I'm not really that good, so i might've missed something while many of you probably won't miss.

However when installing the "full" version of Kali Linux with the fancy GNOME environment and all the awesome applications on it, i have zero issues writing on the very same USB stickeroo using DD.

Does anybody know why this might happen?

Thanks,
- Anthony

dd is a command-line utility that doesn't need permission from a GUI on order to write to a storage device, meaning if you installed a system without GUI dd would still be able to write to a storage device. Lastly I have a dislike for Kali for several reasons, one of them being because Kali is not a desktop distribution so all I can say Kali is acting strange.

dd is a command-line utility that doesn't need permission from a GUI on order to write to a storage device, meaning if you installed a system without GUI dd would still be able to write to a storage device. Lastly I have a dislike for Kali for several reasons, one of them being because Kali is not a desktop distribution so all I can say Kali is acting strange.
I can actually agree with you. Kali Linux does act kinda strange... not strange enough to make me change it. I've always wanted to try Debian, but that's another story.

I thought that maybe the bare bone Kali Linux has different permissions.
I don't know and this is the reason why I'm here. I want to learn more about Linux.

Maybe I'll just go with Debian OS and see if this is just a Kali issue.

Kali is based on Debian, if you want newer software than what is in Debian stable you can just install Debian testing instead.
Nah, it's not about that. It's just that Kali has pre-installed tools that are super duper cool. I'm not a hacker, but i find it interesting to play with that stuff.
But that doesn't prevent me from installing the Debian stable image.

What i find out about Kali is, that although it's an absolutely awesome operating system and yes - it does act kinda strange, i have difficulties gathering information about it due to the many people that use it and are not really humble.

That one time i had an issue with zoom, i couldn't install the software. The first thing i did was to google it.
A person had the same issue and he got a reply that i read way too often.

"Kali Linux is a pan-testing/pan-penetrating operating system made for security professionals"
and when i read that answer to an issue for zoom not installing properly i was like "What does this has to do with anything?"

I have the feeling that there are people using Kali and they're far from humble.

Zoom not installing - issue fix?
sudo apt-get update && apt-get upgrade.

Short and simple. The thing that makes me use Linux with a smile on my face.

And, this is the only thing I've noticed about Kali that is actually negative. Sometimes i get help from people that isn't really helpful.

But other than that, i really dig Kali : )

Thanks, mate. I appreciate your assistance.
- Anthony

"Kali Linux is a pan-testing/pan-penetrating operating system made for security professionals" and when i read that answer to an issue for zoom not installing properly i was like "What does this has to do with anything?"
It doesn't have to do with anything but the problem is the the average new to Linux person chooses it because of it having a the status of a set of hacker tools so it will give them that same status. Expecting to jump from new to Linux to hacker without even having a basic understanding of Linux. Most of those people don't even want to learn and figure stuff out for themselves and ask the most basics of questions which someone who is using Kali should know. That goes for 90% of the topics I have seen come across in the Kali Linux section of these forums.

However your attitude seems different than the average new to Linux user jumping into Kali has, as in wanting to learning things and try to figure it out for yourself. So I have more respect for that than those who are using Kali asking basic questions that anyone using Kali should already be familiar with. That's my first compliment I have given in the Kali section of these forums. I hope you have and understanding now why you get such answers when it comes to Kali Linux.

It doesn't have to do with anything but the problem is the the average new to Linux person chooses it because of it having a the status of a set of hacker tools so it will give them that same status. Expecting to jump from new to Linux to hacker without even having a basic understanding of Linux. Most of those people don't even want to learn and figure stuff out for themselves and ask the most basics of questions which someone who is using Kali should know.

However your attitude seems different than the average new to Linux user jumping into Kali has, as in wanting to learning things and try to figure it out for yourself. So I have more respect for that than those who are using Kali asking basic questions that anyone using Kali should already be familiar with. That's my first compliment I have given in the Kali section of these forums.
I think I'm one of those people. I jumped at Kali because i find it cool and yet I have issues with it due to being a noob.
I'm not even joking. At the moment i have a very funky error that I didn't expect having.
1635706893332.png

And I'm installing discord because it disappears all the time alongside zoom and slack. And yeah... i'm starting to realize that I'm not ready for Kali's weird outputs.

Attachments

• 1635706851059.png
    1635706851059.png
    8.3 KB · Views: 212
Something seems to have dpkg locked can't tell you what, you can try running the following.
Code:
sudo kill 9115
That should kill the process keeping dpkg locked and then try installing it again.
Code:
sudo dpkg -i  discord-0.0.16.deb
That's all I'm going to help you out with when it comes to Kali since I'm already breaking my own rules now.

I can't tell what is happening in the background, you can try running the following.
Code:
sudo kill 9115
That should kill the process keeping dpkg locked and then try installing it again.
Code:
sudo dpkg -i  discord-0.0.16.deb
That's all I'm going to help you out with when it comes to Kali since I'm already breaking my own rules now.
Oh it's okay i fixed it with a restart.
That's why i use Linux. Boom boom, done.

But i think i'm going to try Debian OS in my free time. Kali is not for
1635707332757.png

Oh it's okay i fixed it with a restart.
That's why i use Linux. Boom boom, done.

But i think i'm going to try Debian OS in my free time. Kali is not for
View attachment 10617
Could have been something like a graphical update manager was checking for updates and had dpkg locked, enough about that. Have fun with Debian!

Members online