dial-up in raspbian os???

alex1234ruam

Reaction score
Credits
hi, i have a little question... "NetZero Dial-up internet" work on raspbian os???
Thanks and bye

Ask NetZero?

"For questions, call: 1-800-638-9376"

I would not trust NetZero for a correct answer. Even if the support person realizes that Raspbian OS is Linux, they will not think about x86 versus ARM processor. (Alex did not say Raspian for ARM, but it is reasonable to assume.)

The real question is whether @alex1234ruam can find a dial-up modem and a matching Raspbian OS driver for that ARM processor.

I agree with sphen, good luck finding a usb modem to use. I was unaware that dial up still existed.

In just the US, more than 250,000 people still use dial-up to connect to the web.

In just the US, more than 250,000 people still use dial-up to connect to the web.
with a population of 330,000,000 that means that less than 1% (0.07%) of the population of the US uses dial up. 250k sounds like alot until you put it in context.

LOL I know. I do math. I was simply sharing that folks still use it. I have a neighbor just outside of DSL range and too cheap (smart?) to pay for satellite. So, he uses dial up. He uses a browser plugin that compresses everything and pretty much only uses the 'net in text mode, though not with a text-based browser.

LOL I know. I do math. I was simply sharing that folks still use it. I have a neighbor just outside of DSL range and too cheap (smart?) to pay for satellite. So, he uses dial up. He uses a browser plugin that compresses everything and pretty much only uses the 'net in text mode, though not with a text-based browser.
that is cheap and wow.

that is cheap and wow.

He even gets some sort of discount because he's below the poverty line.

I should probably point out (the more regulars already know this) that I live in a very remote area. Like, it's more than an hour-long drive to get to fast food, a hospital, a shopping center, etc...

I don't even have a post office in the region I live in. There's no municipal anything. There are no local police, there's no water department, there's no town office, etc...

(I live here by choice.)

We have one member who lives near the Green Bank Radio Telescope in West Virginia, she cannot get satellite because of the scope, and other versions of DSL are unavailable, so she has dialup.

Cheers

Wizard

Green Bank Radio Telescope

That radio quiet zone is pretty well enforced, so I'm told.

type type delete

Let's just say that people move there for some unusual reasons.

The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) created the Quiet Zone in 1958 to protect the radio telescopes at Green Bank and Sugar Grove from harmful interference. Today, the Green Bank Observatory oversees the Quiet Zone.
The Quiet Zone also protects the antennas and receivers of the U.S. Navy's Information Operations Command (NIOC) at Sugar Grove. The NIOC is the location of electronic intelligence-gathering systems, and is today said to be a key station in the ECHELON system operated by the National Security Agency (NSA)

Just some gee-whiz stuff

But on Raspian OS you may have to install pppoe and pppconfig to get dialup to work

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online