Developing an operating system from scratch.

abyoffical

Reaction score
Credits
How can I make an operating system using the Linux kernel, what should I pay attention to when making an operating system?

Learn about OS design. Look up the terms 'Minix' and 'Tanenbaum'.

Pay attention to your build and make sure (cross your i's, dot your t's) that you are doing what you 'should be' one thing at a time with certainty in the order in which things should be built and compiled.
Otherwise the os may not boot and if it does boot it may crash or have other functionality issues.

How I Built My Own Linux Distribution: The Go-Nuts 2023 Guide​

Good Luck!

Like everyone else in this thread, I hope your distro goes somewhere in the future and develops a strong following. However, I'm curious to know what your vision is for it. What features will it have? Will it use a predesigned desktop suite like KDE or will you build that from scratch as well? Will it have it's own package manager? Is it based on an existing distro or is it independent? What will separate it from the plethora of other distros out there? Also, how experienced are you with developing software?

Like everyone else in this thread, I hope your distro goes somewhere in the future and develops a strong following. However, I'm curious to know what your vision is for it. What features will it have? Will it use a predesigned desktop suite like KDE or will you build that from scratch as well? Will it have it's own package manager? Is it based on an existing distro or is it independent? What will separate it from the plethora of other distros out there? Also, how experienced are you with developing software?
I assumed that @abyoffical was doing it for the learning and knowledge. It did not occur to me that they were planning to create a public distro of their own.

I am curious to know what abyofficial is planning to do. They haven't been back for a few days, so they may be merely another bot or troll. Many of them have been appearing on Linux.org lately. Please share some more, @abyofficial.

They haven't been back for a few days, so they may be merely another bot or troll. Many of them have been appearing on Linux.org lately.
I'm not going to jump down your throat, but to assume that is judgmental and rude. It also doesn't mean anything either, as they life outside of the forum like we all do.

I'm not going to jump down your throat, but to assume that is judgmental and rude. It also doesn't mean anything either, as they life outside of the forum like we all do.
Okay, I can accept that. ... Judgmental and rude though it may be, now let us see if my assessment was correct.

I was wondering the same thing. It's also not clear what OP wants.
He didn't actually mention building a distro...
If you want to write an operating system from scratch in code, KG III's original comment about Minix will be the way to go.
If you want to build a Linux distro, I would look up Linux From Scratch and go from there.

If you want to build a Linux distro, I would look up Linux From Scratch and go from there.

Even if they go the LFS route, I'd still suggest Minix and reading Tanenbaum's book on OS design if they're making their own OS. They'll learn a great deal before whacking away at LFS and go into it with a solid plan and (ideally) realistic goals.

Good question. In my mind, a "distro" is something packaged up for distribution to other people and can be installed and run with most things a user would need (a DE for example). I've heard it said before that Gentoo isn't really a "distro" because you choose the system manager, the DE, and the kernel.

Maybe we're just arguing semantics here, but since it's coming up, maybe it isn't a bad idea to get clear. Anyone else want to weigh in on this? How would you define a "distro"?

Is it Coke or Pepsi, Ford or Chevy, McDonald's or Burger King - it's the illusion of choice where there is no choice

Anyone else want to weigh in on this? How would you define a "distro"?

I would agree with your verbiage, though I'd not be a stickler and expect everyone to know the difference(s).

For example, my answer would have been completely different had OP asked something like, "How do I make my own distro based on Ubuntu?" Had they asked that, I'd have also assumed that they wanted to distribute it, be it internally for their own business needs or for a public release.

Language is hard. Being specific can be difficult. Conformity isn't assumed, and many are speaking a 2nd or 3rd language. There's also generational differences and vast differences in knowledge.

my answer would have been completely different had OP asked something like, "How do I make my own distro based on Ubuntu?" Had they asked that, I'd have also assumed that they wanted to distribute it, be it internally for their own business needs or for a public release.

How is it not a distro if they want to use the Linux kernel to build it?

How is it not a distro if they want to use the Linux kernel to build it?

I could just copy/paste, but it'll be easier if you read the comment I replied to and agreed with. That'll save us both some time.

Members online

No members online now.