Desktop freezes just before finishing loading

AgentKerbal

Reaction score
Credits
Hi ! I'm using Linux Lite 5.4 and since yesterday, I cannot access my desktop. The boot goes as normal (I removed quiet splash from the grub file to make sure it was ACTUALLY loading) but right as when it's supposed to start loading the desktop, the white text blinking indicator or whatever it's called just freezes. I can even hear the startup chime but my screen is (almost) all black. I'm running this on a laptop with 6GB of ram, an Intel i5 5200U with intel graphics 5500 and a GTX 950M.
I've reinstalled my video drivers, played with the recovery mode, still nothing. Any ideas ?

edit: I think it's good to mention that before this all started, I added a file to my /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel-graphics.conf which I removed using a live session after the problems began
The file followed as such:
Code:
Section "Module"
   Load "dri3"
EndSection

Section "Device"
   Identifier  "Intel Graphics"
   Driver      "intel"

# Required by Google Earth, other modern GL apps:
   Option      "DRI"   "3"

# Fixes screen tearing:
   Option      "TripleBuffer" "true"
   Option      "TearFree"     "true"
EndSection

Last edited:

Does it freeze if you boot without the GUI or into single user mode?

I would look at the logs if you can get it to boot into a non-GUI environment.

If it boots into a non-GUI environment, you might try to reset your GUI environment.

The final question I would ask is did anything change just prior to this issue starting. App install, something got updated, etc. A configuration change.

'aight lemme see for the GUI and to answer the other question I think I installed an update regarding firefox and that's it (apart from that intel xorg file I talked about earlier), so shouldn't be a problem.
Thanks for the quick reply :)

Good news! I managed to boot the OS without GUI, typed my password and everything.
So that's definitely a sign that it doesn't freeze after loading, nice

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts