Desktop freeze - seemingly internet related...??

M

Moose-Dad

Hello All,

I have a peculiar situation. I'll try to be as succinct as possible when describing.

I use the most recent and updated version of OpenSuse on an HP all-in-one touch screen computer. Pretty much all works very well "out of the box".

I am mostly using Firefox for internet enabled tasks - email, website updates, banking, forum participation, shopping, etc.

Firefox, every now and then (ie: sometimes not in a session, sometimes every 20 minutes or so) seems to hang (freeze for 20 seconds to a minute or more) then recover and be fine.

Chromium and Opera are even worse, and cannot recover from their freezes.

I THOUGHT it was browser related, but just tonight a strange but interesting thing occurred as I was trying to open a LibreOffice "write" file. LibreOffice also hanged as it was opening. Since I was multi-tasking (browsing the net) I noticed F-fox was hanging, too. I cut my internet connection (via KDE's task-bar system tray interface) to re-connect, since the internet connection has also been frustratingly hanging at times.

Now the interesting part is that AS SOON AS I CUT the internet, LibreOffice popped up the document I was trying to open. And F-fox, that was stalled, moved again (even though there was no internet).

So, it seems highly likely that the freeze is internet connection related.

I am baffled. I am what many windows xp users would have called a "power user", and I have been using linux for the last 12 years, so I am quite familiar with the nature of what is happening. That said, I am NOT AT ALL a coder (tried coding on MUDs years ago and it was not my cup of tea).

So, I can do stuff by command line. I don't mind, but even though I might understand the logic in command line instructions, I have absolutely no retention for the commands and am pretty much "follow the instructions given" or "dot to dot" type of command line user.

Does anyone have ANY idea what this problem might be?? And if so, does anyone have any suggested solution??

Thanks a million for any help you might be able to give.

- Moose-Dad

Hello,

It may sound funny but do you have enough RAM?

OpenSUSE is the most bloated distribution out there and of course KDE is a huge memory eater.

Best regards

Hello All,

I have a peculiar situation. I'll try to be as succinct as possible when describing.

I use the most recent and updated version of OpenSuse on an HP all-in-one touch screen computer. Pretty much all works very well "out of the box".

I am mostly using Firefox for internet enabled tasks - email, website updates, banking, forum participation, shopping, etc.

Firefox, every now and then (ie: sometimes not in a session, sometimes every 20 minutes or so) seems to hang (freeze for 20 seconds to a minute or more) then recover and be fine.

Chromium and Opera are even worse, and cannot recover from their freezes.

I THOUGHT it was browser related, but just tonight a strange but interesting thing occurred as I was trying to open a LibreOffice "write" file. LibreOffice also hanged as it was opening. Since I was multi-tasking (browsing the net) I noticed F-fox was hanging, too. I cut my internet connection (via KDE's task-bar system tray interface) to re-connect, since the internet connection has also been frustratingly hanging at times.

Now the interesting part is that AS SOON AS I CUT the internet, LibreOffice popped up the document I was trying to open. And F-fox, that was stalled, moved again (even though there was no internet).

So, it seems highly likely that the freeze is internet connection related.

I am baffled. I am what many windows xp users would have called a "power user", and I have been using linux for the last 12 years, so I am quite familiar with the nature of what is happening. That said, I am NOT AT ALL a coder (tried coding on MUDs years ago and it was not my cup of tea).

So, I can do stuff by command line. I don't mind, but even though I might understand the logic in command line instructions, I have absolutely no retention for the commands and am pretty much "follow the instructions given" or "dot to dot" type of command line user.

Does anyone have ANY idea what this problem might be?? And if so, does anyone have any suggested solution??

Thanks a million for any help you might be able to give.

- Moose-Dad
Welcome, good sire!..... :3 Also, Mitt is right..... On my Chromebook, KDE, and the fact that it's the Desktop Enviroment on KUBUNTU, no less, is pushing the boundaries of my RAM, to say the least..... :D I liken KDE to the Windows 7 Aero interface..... ;) Better in quality, yes, but STILL slower in most low-end PCs..... :) Add to that the fact that Firefox, as well as most other Browsers, use a good deal of RAM, unless you want to change how MUCH they are allowed to use..... :) Also, Chrome and Chromium, being related (like, a LOT), share the same features, for the most part..... :) So, being that Chromium and Chrome are made to be a Web Browser, AND an Application Launcher (which is WONDERFUL for ChromeOS), they just seem to run slow when insufficient Memory exists..... :( This even happens on Windows 8, on my ASUS Netbook, so I can CONFIRM it isn't just my ACER Chromebook's Hardware itSELF...... :) But on Lubuntu, on this old Dell Inspiron a friend gave me, it Chromium AND Chrome work like a charm!!..... ^^ (Ok, they take longer than Firefox to boot up, but they work smoothly)..... :3 How is it now.....? :) You may look into using a lighter-weight Distro, if you aren't already..... :) Also, as for Programming..... You could always try Python..... :3 print ("Hello, World!!")..... ^^ :3

Mitt, thanks for your suggestion. I have 16gb ram (I tricked this baby up as much as possible) so I would think that limited RAM is certainly not a possibility.

The processor is well capable, too. Certainly not a "gaming" machine, but that's not what I use it for.

Again, the problem (freezing) stopped immediately once my internet connection was disconnected. Hence, it seems like somehow there is a conflict whereby the software is focusing too many resources on figuring out the internet connection, causing some sort of a bottle neck.

Blackneos, thanks for your input as well. But repeating my reply to Mitt's suggestion, it is most certainly not a RAM limitation issue.

Yes, it does seem like a connection-related issue. Have you carefully examined your network beyond just your all-in-one computer? That is, are any other devices on the network having the same problem? If you are using WiFi, have you tried connecting via ethernet cable instead? Maybe release/renew your IP address could help, or maybe a hard reset and reconfigure your router. Maybe try another router if you have a spare or can borrow one to test.

It also seems like a CPU freeze since LibreOffice also locked up (and it isn't too intense with connection demands). So OpenSUSE itself could be hosed up, such as after a recent update. Stuff happens sometimes. I might would try to boot on a live DVD from another distro and see how that works.

Maybe some log files would provide some clues as well, but I'm not that well versed to steer you in that direction.

Members online