Dependencies

lekkerlinux

Reaction score
Credits
I was just thinking of what the Wizard said about the importance of dependencies.

I was installing Manjaro Gnome and after it installs there was a huge update that failed while trying to install a update for Steam at the end of the update process.

The I just installed Antergos Gnome and there was a program called yay that had a new version. The update didn't work because of a invalid or corrupted package.

Later I found out that I can't install AbiWord or 0 A.D. without this yay thing working. I tried to update my keys and everything but nothing works.

I wonder if this broken package problem is more common in Arch distros than Ubuntu based distros?

I had no problems like this.
Normaly pacman or yaourt just install all package-dependencies when you install a package.

I had no problems like this.
Normaly pacman or yaourt just install all package-dependencies when you install a package.
Yes, all the programs I referred to, depends on yay but there is something wrong with yay.

I though I might remove the yay in the Antergos repository and install yay from the AUR, but there are two. A yay-bin and a yay-git. I'm not sure which one to use and if it will work.

Last edited:
G'day all :)

If you want to remove yay

Code:
sudo pacman -Rs yay

If you want to remove any dependencies it may have installed that are no longer needed

Code:
sudo pacman -Qdtq

Then, to install yay

Code:
git clone https://aur.archlinux.org/yay.git
cd yay
makepkg -si

This presumes git is already installed.

To check on git, doesn't require sudo

Code:
pacman -Qi git

If not installed

Code:
sudo pacman -S git

... then proceed as above.

This page from GitHub is worth the read, scroll down first past all the Commits

https://github.com/Jguer/yay

The above should apply both under Antergos and Manjaro, any probs let us know :)

Friday here in Oz, so

Avagudweegend

Chris

I think Antergos repositories are no longer maintained.

I did remove the antergos yay and installed yay-bin from the AUR. That allowed me to install Abiword but not some other programs

Antegos wroked so well and then I updated the yay thing and tears followed. Arch seems to be a delicate creature.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts