Processor lithography 14 nm
Processor operating modes 64-bit
Processor codename Coffee Lake

On-board graphics card family Intel® UHD Graphics
On-board graphics card model * Intel® UHD Graphics 630

On-board graphics card DirectX version 12.0
On-board graphics card OpenGL version 4.5
On-board graphics card ID 0x3E92

I've installed Linux server 20.04 LTS but it will not boot from the hard drive the format was LVM maybe ext4 would work?
I would like to be able to use the LVM
I've exhausted various boot options and have updated the firmware. I see the drive is recognized in bios.
It just wont boot. It did work before with windows.

Link is to more details https://icecat.biz/p/dell/n032o3060mff/optiplex-pcs-workstations-3060-59328261.html

Last edited:

I saw that the the Dell OptiPlex 3060 is only supports Ubuntu 16.04 would this cause the problem? Is there some other firmware that I could use to resolve the Issue?

That tower has so many options, I cannot tell you much about your specific concerns until more is known about your hardware.

For instance, your graphics -- is it nVidia, Radeon or onboard?

Tell us where it was seen only 16.04 supports your machine.

Oh, and Welcome! to the LO Forum!

Hello @jacobneider,
Welcome to Linux.org Forum.
Give us a bit more information about the machine. as @forester has said that series of Dell came with so many options it would be hard for us to diagnose the problem. They range all the way from I 686 cpus to I7's and many other options. Which version are we talking about the Mini or the full tower. UEFI or Not? Dell's documentation stopped at Ubuntu 16.04 that does not mean the newer version will not work.

I don't know why you'd be installing Ubuntu sever version.
I'd suggest trying Ubuntu 20.04 LTS and not the sever version.

Hello @jacobneider,
Welcome to Linux.org Forum.
Give us a bit more information about the machine. as @forester has said that series of Dell came with so many options it would be hard for us to diagnose the problem. They range all the way from I 686 cpus to I7's and many other options. Which version are we talking about the Mini or the full tower. UEFI or Not? Dell's documentation stopped at Ubuntu 16.04 that does not mean the newer version will not work.

I don't know why you'd be installing Ubuntu sever version.
I'd suggest trying Ubuntu 20.04 LTS and not the sever version.

if it indeed has the Nvidia GPU. Which some did not. Then he will have to enter the nomodeset parameter in the grub boot line.

Thanks for everyone responses. This is all I know about the machine so far... I can load windows back on and try to get more info.
1649851169329.png

Boot the system from the install media and run it as a Live version then do the below.

Open the terminal and copy and paste this command and then post it's output to a post.

Code:
sudo lshw -short -C disk

Open the terminal and copy and paste this command and then post it's output to a post.

Code:
 sudo lshw -C display

Boot the system from the install media and run it as a Live version then do the below.

Code:
sudo lshw -short -C disk

Code:
 sudo lshw -C display
At the moment I can only boot into BIOS. I found a list of the hardware options online. I will also try to reinstall windows and do these commands .

Okay in the bios is the hard drive / ssd recognized.

I would create a bootable Ubuntu 20.04 LTS standard version and install it.

@jacobneider -- Linux commands will not work in Windows. Windows won't solve your problem.

What is your ultimate goal -- a server? I'd suggest learning desktop Linux, first.

F12 at startup gets one to BIOS to choose Boot Options. Choose whichever device contains the Live version of the distro desired. Boot to it. Install.

I'd recommend MX-21.1 Wildflower. But do what you want -- that's one freedom available to the user in GNU/Linux!

Okay in the bios is the hard drive / ssd recognized.

I would create a bootable Ubuntu 20.04 LTS standard version and install it.
I did this and Ubuntu server 20.04 LTS was installed but after exiting if failed to recognize the hard drive

@jacobneider -- Linux commands will not work in Windows. Windows won't solve your problem.

What is your ultimate goal -- a server? I'd suggest learning desktop Linux, first.

F12 at startup gets one to BIOS to choose Boot Options. Choose whichever device contains the Live version of the distro desired. Boot to it. Install.

I'd recommend MX-21.1 Wildflower. But do what you want -- that's one freedom available to the user in GNU/Linux!
The program I'm running requires Ubuntu server 20.04. I was able to make a boot drive and down load to the hard drive but after installation it will not recognize the drive and fails to load. My goal is to upgrade my server to the 6 cores and and the 32gb of ram in this hardware.

Staff online

Members online