Dell Latitude D630 Laptop install challenge

Mate I have to go out for a bit, but will look in when I get back.

Can we get output from

Code:
inxi -Fxs

... on the unit you are working with? When I'm back I'll hop into an 18.3 Cinnamon and take a look - architecture won't matter on a wifi issue.

Cheers

Wiz
ah...excuse my ingnorance...lol how do I get that code? In the File manager window?

No, those are "terminal commands." Open a terminal with CNTL-ALT-T and then type it in there. You can also copy/paste, but it is slightly different to paste than Windows... use CNTL-SHIFT-V instead of just CNTL-V.

EDIT:
Or right-click copy, right-click paste works both in to and out of the terminal. So you can highlight the output and paste it back here to show it to us.

No, those are "terminal commands." Open a terminal with CNTL-ALT-T and then type it in there. You can also copy/paste, but it is slightly different to paste than Windows... use CNTL-SHIFT-V instead of just CNTL-V.

EDIT:
Or right-click copy, right-click paste works both in to and out of the terminal. So you can highlight the output and paste it back here to show it to us.
20180302_213257.jpg

Okay, "input" is not a command. The command to type in (or copy/paste) is this:
Code:
inxi -Fxs

The terminal will then "output" a lot of text back to you. We want you to click and drag your mouse across all that text, right-click to copy it, and then right-click and paste it into a reply here so we can see it. It may not fit in a photo.

Last edited:
Okay, "input" is not a command. The command to type in (or copy/paste) is this:
Code:
inxi -Fxs

The terminal will then "output" a lot of text back to you. We want you to click and drag your mouse across all that text, right-click to copy it, and then right-click and paste it into a reply here so we can see it. It may not fit in a photo.

Boy am I glad you know
20180302_215506.jpg
how to read that!!

It's okay... we understand this stuff gets hard for new users. But next is to get you to type it correctly! :D When entering commands, it becomes very handy to master the art of copy/paste so that you don't mis-type like above. Linux is extremely case-sensitive... so you need -Fxs instead. There is going to be a lot more when you use the capital F. And like I said, it may not fit in a camera view (maybe yes, maybe no). But you can use the mouse to click and drag across everything to highlight it, right-click on it and select copy, and then come back to a reply box and right-click there and select paste.

It's okay... we understand this stuff gets hard for new users. But next is to get you to type it correctly! :D When entering commands, it becomes very handy to master the art of copy/paste so that you don't mis-type like above. Linux is extremely case-sensitive... so you need -Fxs instead. There is going to be a lot more when you use the capital F. And like I said, it may not fit in a camera view (maybe yes, maybe no). But you can use the mouse to click and drag across everything to highlight it, right-click on it and select copy, and then come back to a reply box and right-click there and select paste.
hahah. thanks so much for your patience. I am on my main pc, so I am taking pics and sending them to my mail. I do not have the laptop hooked up to my pc. So I think you mentioned tha tI can do this in windows as well?

Oops, I'm not thinking either... of course you aren't online with the Dell... that's the problem! LOL. :D

Well, as long as the camera works, let's go with that. But you may get into some stuff that is too much. If so, you'll need to copy the "output" that we're looking for and paste it into a text file and put that on a USB to transfer it over. Linux has at least 2 or 3 programs that you can paste the text into, but I guess we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

Yes, sir. That will help. That shows us that Linux sees your wireless device (it usually does). It is the "Card-2" entry, a Broadcom BCM4312. I'm going to call it a night as I have to get up early tomorrow, but Wizard may take that info and run with it, or he may also ask you to run some more commands in the terminal to continue. And maybe others will join in also to try to help you along. Knowing the device is the first piece of the puzzle though, and next is finding the driver that will work with Mint and getting it installed so the device will come to life.

Cheers

Yes, sir. That will help. That shows us that Linux sees your wireless device (it usually does). It is the "Card-2" entry, a Broadcom BCM4312. I'm going to call it a night as I have to get up early tomorrow, but Wizard may take that info and run with it, or he may also ask you to run some more commands in the terminal to continue. And maybe others will join in also to try to help you along. Knowing the device is the first piece of the puzzle though, and next is finding the driver that will work with Mint and getting it installed so the device will come to life.

Cheers
For sure, I am ready for sleep myself tomorrow is another day again thanks for the time and patience!!!!!!

We enjoy helping... we REALLY enjoy succeeding! :D Hopefully soon!

What I have noticed as well is that the date and time changes in Win 7, Keeps showing the next day. Even after I reset it.

You know, my droll answer would be "That's because Linux has taken you into the future".

I've got to read all of page 2 and then try to have some sensible input, but for now this black duck has got to get some sleep and I'll be back with more.

Cheers

Wizard

You know, my droll answer would be "That's because Linux has taken you into the future".

I've got to read all of page 2 and then try to have some sensible input, but for now this black duck has got to get some sleep and I'll be back with more.

Cheers

Wizard
Except that it is Windows taking him into the future! Yikes! :eek::eek::eek:

Some last-minute searching last night may have found a fairly easy way to install your driver, but it will help greatly if you can get the Dell online. Can you connect it to your router with an ethernet cable? You'd probably want to connect the cable before booting the Dell so it detects the connection at startup.

I noticed a bit more about your device... the LP-PHY part makes it a bit special, but it should still work.

Off to breakfast... that's why I'm up early! :D

Some last-minute searching last night may have found a fairly easy way to install your driver, but it will help greatly if you can get the Dell online. Can you connect it to your router with an ethernet cable? You'd probably want to connect the cable before booting the Dell so it detects the connection at startup.

I noticed a bit more about your device... the LP-PHY part makes it a bit special, but it should still work.

Off to breakfast... that's why I'm up early! :D
Good Morning. The dell may have launched me into the future, because I can use plastic trash and power my Deloren!! I will try the re-boot with the ethernet cable attached.

Online now with the ethernet cable? If you are, then we can try some stuff. The first few commands I'll give you came from this page. I don't think you need each step he shows (you've already shown what wireless device you have), but run these commands below, one after another, and then disconnect the ethernet cable and reboot to see if the wireless starts up and shows you available networks.

There's no capital letters to watch for, but be sure to include all the dashes (-) where needed. You may need to hit "Y" to answer "Yes" to keep one or more of these processes moving along.
Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get purge bcmwl-kernel-source
sudo apt-get install linux-firmware-nonfree

After rebooting, there will be a network icon in the lower right corner area of the panel (taskbar)... right-click on it and it will show you the available networks if it is running. If so, click on your network and enter your password. Mint will remember it and auto connect again next time you reboot.

If the above does not work, then reboot with the ethernet cable again and enter the command below (this is very abbreviated from this page):
Code:
sudo apt-get install firmware-b43-lpphy-installer

After installing this, then again disconnect the ethernet cable and reboot to check if the wireless is now working. If not, we'll head back to the drawing board, but I am hopeful that these steps will get you going.

Good Morning. The dell may have launched me into the future, because I can use plastic trash and power my Deloren!! I will try the re-boot with the ethernet cable attached.

Hi got online and did as you suggested, I went to Antojose.com and followed the instructions. This is what I got.
20180304_132239.jpg

I did a reboot but nothing in the tray appeared.

Members online

Latest posts