Dell Latitude D630 Laptop install challenge

Reaction score
Credits
I am back with another install attempt. The Easynote with a 5 GB hard-drive just didn't cut it, so I found a Dell Latitude with 2 GB of Memory and an 80 GB Hard-drive. Woo-hoo living the dream!!

I will attempt to load Linux_18.3-cinnamon-32 bit. ya a 64 bit would be better but oh well. I will get back to you with updates.

hmmmm.....everything loaded fine, but no wireless connections. I looked through settings etc...tried a few things but was not able to activate it. I am in search of a mystical solution. .:)o_O

Mate I have to go out for a bit, but will look in when I get back.

Can we get output from

Code:
inxi -Fxs

... on the unit you are working with? When I'm back I'll hop into an 18.3 Cinnamon and take a look - architecture won't matter on a wifi issue.

Cheers

Wiz

I am back with another install attempt. The Easynote with a 5 GB hard-drive just didn't cut it, so I found a Dell Latitude with 2 GB of Memory and an 80 GB Hard-drive. Woo-hoo living the dream!!

Sounds like the Dell will work well, but I would ask if you ever tried Puppy Linux (or one if its derivatives) on the Easynote that you mention? The Puppy family runs on a CD so no hard drive is required, but since you do have a small hard drive, it can use that to save settings, and I think it can install a few programs there also. Just wanted to mention it to you before the Easynote hits the recycle bin. The Easynote still might not run well if it doesn't have enough RAM, but Puppy's requirements are pretty low.

Cheers

I will attempt to load Linux_18.3-cinnamon-32 bit. ya a 64 bit would be better but oh well. I will get back to you with updates.
My dad just gave me me a latitude 6400 and boy was it in bad shape I think the windows program is stuck in a loop but i wanna make it into a not windows device but I have never used Linux before anyone got some good ones to start with?

My dad just gave me me a latitude 6400 and boy was it in bad shape I think the windows program is stuck in a loop but i wanna make it into a not windows device but I have never used Linux before anyone got some good ones to start with?

Hi Jerahmia, and welcome to the site. Since your Dell is not the same model as the original post, please open a new thread and pose a question regarding your Dell model. We can then discuss your issues there and leave this thread to help @Old Carpenter Guy when he returns. Thanks!

Sounds like the Dell will work well, but I would ask if you ever tried Puppy Linux (or one if its derivatives) on the Easynote that you mention? The Puppy family runs on a CD so no hard drive is required, but since you do have a small hard drive, it can use that to save settings, and I think it can install a few programs there also. Just wanted to mention it to you before the Easynote hits the recycle bin. The Easynote still might not run well if it doesn't have enough RAM, but Puppy's requirements are pretty low.

Cheers

Iv'e tried Linux lite and loved it, Now I'm working with Mint Xfce was going to suggest Linux Lite for small hard drives. I also tend to agree with this post I found on Linux Mint Forms :
Re: linux lite vs Mint xfce
Post by xfrank » Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:34 am

Both are very good distros, based on Ubuntu LTS, supported by excellent developer teams and with active communities in their respective forums. I prefer and use Mint however because Mint Xfce is more complete and polished, and has a larger community. Linux Lite is lighter than Mint Xfce, so is more suitable for very old and weak hardware. I have tested it for example in a single core laptop from 2004 and works flawlessly. For this kind of old hardware I have 3 choices. Very old/weak: Linux Lite or Peppermint. Old and (not so) weak: Mint Xfce. For "normal" and new hardware I prefer Mint Cinnamon.

Dell D360 Laptop XP, Windows7, Dell Precision T3400 Tower Workstation Linux Mint etc...

Last edited:
I am having the exact same issue on the exact same laptop as the old carpenter guy. I have checked bios and card is on, I have used the driver's from the USB download changing the choice from not found to the available choice. Iwconfig shows no wireless, inxi -Fxs sees both onboard cards both broadcom. Ihave flicked the switch, no indicator light for WiFi. I am not able to hook up to wired. Any other tricks I can use to get the wifi working. This is getting stressful.

This is getting stressful.

I can imagine so :(

Hi Tammy and welcome to linux.org, albeit under stressful circumstances. The less stress the better, IMO.

Sounds like you are not new to Linux, which is cool for getting input from you. Wifi is not my strength but someone will likely be along soon.

If by

Iwconfig shows no wireless

You have seen something like this

enp14s0 no wireless extensions.

or this

lo no wireless extensions.

That is not indicative of no wireless, they are from my iwconfig and I am using the wifi right now.

Can you give us the output of your

inxi -Fxs

iwconfig and

ifconfig?

With the latter two, if you are concerned about address privacy, just save them to a text file, black out the details and provide us the rest.

There are more commands, but we can get to those.

Keep your chin up :p

I have to go out for a bit, but will look in when I am back and provide whatever assistance I can, or leave it to our experts.

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Thanks Chris. While I m new to Linux I am not new to computers. I have already investigated and tried all the other solutions. If nothing I will have to find somewhere to hook it up direct. I am working on uploading pictures for you. Easier than typing it.

Can I use a USB to upload the driver's needed without having to drag my laptop to a wired connection? I don't have access to the modem, it's in landlords suite to use a wired connection.

I'm a silly billy, Tammy. I should have asked how are you accessing the internet currently?
Is it with a USB WiFi "dongle"?

Can I use a USB to upload the driver's needed without having to drag my laptop to a wired connection?

I should think so, but you would need to be sure the drivers are designed for use with Linux.

Have you been successful in locating some for your situation?

Not prying, but are you US-based and what time zone, or if elsewhere, the same?

I am from DownUnder (Australia) and so there will be times when I am unavailable that are different to yours.

Wizard

Edited 2nd March, USB dongle (misread post initially)

Last edited:
I am Western Canada. I have a link to the driver's I would need. IIshould be able to just savesthem to the usb and download them to thw computrr like other drivers. I use an external keyboard and mouse so it's a bit of a hassle to pack it up and drag it to a friend's house. I work from home so I have lost a days work with this issue.

I understand ... so in BC at time of writing this it would be 9:17PM, I may or may not have lost you for your night.

IIshould be able to just savesthem to the usb and download them to thw computrr like other drivers.

Not very likely, sorry. A lot of this is not just Plug and Play.

At this point, I do not even know what Linux Distribution you are using, is it Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon 32-bit like Old Carpenter Guy?

I'll show you this video, and then you'll get some idea of what might be involved. This was with a Realtek.

Questions -

1. Do you have access to Windows to do your work, that is are you dualbooting or is Linux the only OS on the laptop? (I am thinking of you getting your work done)

I have already investigated and tried all the other solutions.
Can you tell us briefly what they were, so we are not running over ground you have already covered?

3. Can you copy and paste to here the outputs for the following commands at Terminal:

Code:
lsusb

AND

sudo lshw -C network

With the latter command, here is an example of output

You may get an output something like, but not exactly like this:
Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 058f:6366 Alcor Micro Corp. Multi Flash Reader
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0846:9020 NetGear, Inc. WNA3100(v1) Wireless-N 300 [Broadcom BCM43231]
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 004 Device 003: ID 046d:c52b Logitech, Inc. Unifying Receiver
Bus 004 Device 002: ID 046d:c517 Logitech, Inc. LX710 Cordless Desktop Laser

... and you can see we then have what we need.

We could also use the outputs for those commands,that I asked for earlier, you were working on pictures?

Cheers

Wizard

Nice video explanation, Wizard! I hope that Tammy has found some success by now, but as you pointed out, Linux is not always plug-and-play simple (but it is getting better).

Sometimes it seems that the easiest wireless "fix" for new users is to 1) Try another distro, or 2) Purchase a cheap dongle. For example, I have had Peppermint OS Linux find and use built-in wireless in an old laptop that no other distro would work. Cheap dongles can bring their own problems though... many won't work with Linux, or they may have trouble with constantly dropping the connections. A rock-solid dongle that I recommend is this one for only $15. It's kinda big and clunky, but the antenna gives it superior range and it has worked plug-and-play in all the Linux distros that I've tried with it. I have bought and given away about a half-dozen of these to friends and family because they work so well.

Cheers

HI guys, I finally made it back and have some time to address this issue. I have read a bit through the thread, but my head starts to swim a little in all the tech stuff. So, I have loaded Linux_18.3-cinnamon-32 bit in a dual boot setup with Win 7 on the above mentioned laptop. What I have noticed as well is that the date and time changes in Win 7, Keeps showing the next day. Even after I reset it.

HI guys, I finally made it back and have some time to address this issue. I have read a bit through the thread, but my head starts to swim a little in all the tech stuff. So, I have loaded Linux_18.3-cinnamon-32 bit in a dual boot setup with Win 7 on the above mentioned laptop. What I have noticed as well is that the date and time changes in Win 7, Keeps showing the next day. Even after I reset it.

Hey @Old Carpenter Guy, welcome back! We've been keeping your thread warm for you! :D:D:D

Your time question deserves it's own thread, if you want to post one... it's an interesting topic actually, and it is rarely discussed. Let me just briefly tell you that you are forgetting another clock: the time is set in your BIOS too. Getting them to synchronize properly may require you to set the BIOS clock to UTC (also called GMT, or Greenwich Mean Time). Then in the operating systems, you'll need to get your timezone set correctly. You have to fiddle with it, but it can be done.

And back to the topic... did you get your wireless working? Your head may be swimming even more soon! :eek::D

Cheers

Hey @Old Carpenter Guy, welcome back! We've been keeping your thread warm for you! :D:D:D

Your time question deserves it's own thread, if you want to post one... it's an interesting topic actually, and it is rarely discussed. Let me just briefly tell you that you are forgetting another clock: the time is set in your BIOS too. Getting them to synchronize properly may require you to set the BIOS clock to UTC (also called GMT, or Greenwich Mean Time). Then in the operating systems, you'll need to get your timezone set correctly. You have to fiddle with it, but it can be done.

And back to the topic... did you get your wireless working? Your head may be swimming even more soon! :eek::D

Cheers
K, gonna have a look at the Bios, NO I did not get the wireless working in Linux, Works in windows 7 ok, But nothing shows up in the Linux when I boot into that OS.

I may have the time backwards... BIOS might need to be your local time. Windows seems to need that, so Linux is probably the one that is adaptable. I'll look into it further though, or maybe someone else will set us straight.

Okay on the wireless.... we're gonna have to get you to pull out some of the info as described above in order to help. I'm pretty sure Linux sees your wireless device, so it is a matter of finding what you have and getting the correct driver installed to make it work.

I may have the time backwards... BIOS might need to be your local time. Windows seems to need that, so Linux is probably the one that is adaptable. I'll look into it further though, or maybe someone else will set us straight.

Okay on the wireless.... we're gonna have to get you to pull out some of the info as described above in order to help. I'm pretty sure Linux sees your wireless device, so it is a matter of finding what you have and getting the correct driver installed to make it work.
Ok, changed the bios. it was set for tommorow, I'll go back up to wizard from oz's posts, and see what I come up with.

Members online

Latest posts