DELETING Linux

stewieG

Reaction score
Credits
I completely uninstalled windows and changed my computer to Linux mint GUI . Now I want to just completely erase and wipe my computer . How do I do this ?

G'day stewie, Welcome to linux.org

Sounds like you may have acted in haste, and were not impressed with the outcome ?

Just out of curiosity, which Linux Mint did you install ?

Which OS do you intend to put back on your computer ?

Nah I love Linux (just switched ) I have the mint GUI but I need to just START FRESH now that I played around and advanced in knowledge . I also need to partition because I can’t open this WINE app

Seeing you are going to put a fresh install of Linux on your pc....there is no need to wipe or erase.....Just go about installing the fresh copy in the same manner as you installed the first one.

The Linux installer will take care of anything that is on the hard drive....it will completely erase and wipe it.

If you have anything on that first install that you wish to save/keep, make sure you do that before you install the fresh copy.

A good app to have set up is Timeshift. It is a default app on most Linux distributions. Save the 'snapshots that you take to an external hard drive........then if something goes south, you can simply go back to one of the snapshots when everything worked like a charm.

It is a good idea to take a snapshot as soon as you have installed.

Wine is a sometimes hit, sometimes miss thing. I have next to no experience with it because when I swapped to Linux (6+ years ago), I left windows behind completely.

There are people here who have more than a passing knowledge with Wine....so just post a fresh topic about that.

If you need to partition the new install any further, GParted is a good place to do that. It is a default app....just click on menu and type in Gparted. Have a look around it first to familiarise yourself with it.

G'day stewie, Welcome to linux.org

Sounds like you may have acted in haste, and were not impressed with the outcome ?

Just out of curiosity, which Linux Mint did you install ?

Which OS do you intend to put back on your computer ?
Seeing you are going to put a fresh install of Linux on your pc....there is no need to wipe or erase.....Just go about installing the fresh copy in the same manner as you installed the first one.

The Linux installer will take care of anything that is on the hard drive....it will completely erase and wipe it.

If you have anything on that first install that you wish to save/keep, make sure you do that before you install the fresh copy.

A good app to have set up is Timeshift. It is a default app on most Linux distributions. Save the 'snapshots that you take to an external hard drive........then if something goes south, you can simply go back to one of the snapshots when everything worked like a charm.

Wine is a sometimes hit, sometimes miss thing. I have next to no experience with it because when I swapped to Linux (6+ years ago), I left windows behind completely.

There are people here who have more than a passing knowledge with Wine....so just post a fresh topic about that.

If you need to partition the new install any further, GParted is a good place to do that. It is a default app....just click on menu and type in Gparted. Have a look around it first to familiarise yourself with it.

Thanks a lot but I think I messed up . I tried to uninstall using : sudo remove Sumin Sumin lol I forgot now all that’s happening when I bout is I get the Linux mint symbol on screen it wow the boot or anything lol

update: booted Linux mint from USB Need to know how to get back to windows and wipe this computer clean to start fresh on Linux mint

All cool. Messing up in Linux is quite common.....you are not the first and you sure won't be the last !!

You probably installed the Linux on there by making bootable USB...? (or a bootable DVD ?)

You can use the same USB again......(or make another one on the same USB, if you are changing OS's...same principle applies, no need to wipe the USB)

Plug the USb in and boot the PC to that USB. When it is up and running, (this is called Live mode )....just click the 'Install Linux Mint" icon on the desktop, and it will do its thing just the same as it did before. It will not keep any of the old install

Need to know how to get back to windows and wipe this computer clean to start fresh on Linux mint
You DO NOT need to go back to windows or wipe the computer clean. A fresh Install will wipe the hard drive FOR YOU.

I completely uninstalled windows and changed my computer to Linux mint GUI . Now I want to just completely erase and wipe my computer . How do I do this ?
With the installation USB (or optical disc) of Linux Mint you can 'wipe' the hard drive by formatting it using Gparted which is included in the installation media. Boot the USB, when it loads and is at the desktop find Gparted in the applications menu. Start up Gparted and from there you can erase partitions (or make new ones) and format the drive. This will effectively "erase and wipe" the computer.

Secure erase (wipe) is another matter entirely.

With the installation USB (or optical disc) of Linux Mint you can 'wipe' the hard drive by formatting it using Gparted which is included in the installation media. Boot the USB, when it loads and is at the desktop find Gparted in the applications menu. Start up Gparted and from there you can erase partitions (or make new ones) and format the drive. This will effectively "erase and wipe" the computer.

Going to try now

E87AEB65-0A30-438F-A07D-46A23E4ADDDB.jpeg

Now what lol

All cool. Messing up in Linux is quite common.....you are not the first and you sure won't be the last !!

You probably installed the Linux on there by making bootable USB...? (or a bootable DVD ?)

You can use the same USB again......(or make another one on the same USB, if you are changing OS's...same principle applies, no need to wipe the USB)

Plug the USb in and boot the PC to that USB. When it is up and running, (this is called Live mode )....just click the 'Install Linux Mint" icon on the desktop, and it will do its thing just the same as it did before. It will not keep any of the old install
But how would I open the windows specific application .

Ok so my factory key is for windows 8 so I’m a download the iso for Windows then do what I gotta do on windows then go back to Linux . Thanks guys

Ok so my factory key is for windows 8 so I’m a download the iso for Windows then do what I gotta do on windows then go back to Linux . Thanks guys
You can always install Windows on a virtual machine under GNU/Linux if you need to have Windows for some specific things that only works on Windows.

I gotta study how cause I did have oracle virtual box and that’s what caused me to have to start fresh . I’m not knowing what to do I did so much I felt it best to just start over .

I’m just gonna have a windows computer and a Linux distro on separate machines because I can’t get this partition stuff YET

As others have said, you do not need to go back to Windows to have a fresh install of Linux. Going back to Windows to do a clean install of Linux is just kinda silly and entirely pointless. It will help you exactly zero.

Use your Linux Mint USB by booting and selecting the USB as your boot device. As mentioned above, find and open GParted (it's included in the applications menu) and then use it to delete all the partitions (you'll need to tell GParted what to do and then be sure to click apply so that it actually does it - clicking apply is a separate step). You're doing this just to make sure everything is gone - get rid of all the partitions.

Once you've erased all the partitions, just wipe the entire device by creating a new partition table. Then, install Linux Mint just like you did the first time, but selecting the 'erase' option during the configuration stage.

Staff online