Deleted cinnamon.cant boot..

hairyjim0128

Reaction score
Credits
Hi all..ive gone and nafffed up a perfectly good install of mint 20.04..I've accidentally deleted cinnamon and can only get the log in screen.if I put my password in it says ..unable to launch "cinnamon-session-cinnamon" X session---"cinnamon-session-cinnamon" not found; falling back to default session. I can CTL alt f1 and get to the terminal but I've no idea what to do after that.ive got a usb drive that I believe has mint on it but as I can't boot from it I've no idea if it's any good.ive got limited use of cable connection so anything that can be done will have to be via WiFi on windows laptop and on a usb or from the terminal and usb stick with the suspect mint installation..I've tried booting into bios but nothing seems to be happening .it just stays black screen.im not computer savvy with all this terminal stuff so any advise with regard to command lines etc will have to be very precise and like it's being done by a 5yr old.if anyone can spoon feed me and walk me through getting it booting up ide be very grateful.i wiped out the cinnamon while I was trying to rid the on screen keyboard..
cheers..jim

Restart Cinnamon
  1. pressing Alt + F2 , type r , and press Enter ,
  2. Ctrl + Alt + Backspace (restart Xorg),
  3. in TTY use command: sudo service mdm restart.

Attachments

• 1603756219358.png
    1603756219358.png
    330 bytes · Views: 298
....and Welcome to Linux.org !!!

Hi.thank you for that..Ile give it a go later.im not too clever with all this Linux stuff but love the freshness of the way it looks now..ive had a go years ago with it on a nawzed up windows laptop and a pc I found on a dustbin and found it a bit too confusing.mint has got a smoother windows kinda feel to it and the graphics are less boxy than the older system I had years back..gonna be making a nas or something like one later wit a raid card I've got and an old motherboard so will no doubt be trawling the faq's to find out what's what..cheers.jim

Hi.thank you for that..Ile give it a go later.im not too clever with all this Linux stuff but love the freshness of the way it looks now..ive had a go years ago with it on a nawzed up windows laptop and a pc I found on a dustbin and found it a bit too confusing.mint has got a smoother windows kinda feel to it and the graphics are less boxy than the older system I had years back..gonna be making a nas or something like one later wit a raid card I've got and an old motherboard so will no doubt be trawling the faq's to find out what's what..cheers.jim
Restart Cinnamon
  1. pressing Alt + F2 , type r , and press Enter ,
  2. Ctrl + Alt + Backspace (restart Xorg),
  3. in TTY use command: sudo service mdm restart.
Tried all that and sudo service not found and typed r and command not found as was mbm not found..could not get any response by pressing alt f2 ..still open for any other ideas.

If you can get to a terminal, you can try reinstalling cinnamon.

sudo apt --reinstall install cinnamon

I think... I'm not sure if it's cinnamon or maybe cinnamon-desktop and I'm not at the computer that has Mint installed nor am I at one where my VMs are loaded. So, I'm not sure what it's called. Digging deep into a search engine indicates it may also be 'cinnamon-desktop-environment'.

So, 'sudo apt --reinstall install cinnamon' and if no joy try 'sudo apt --reinstall install cinnamon-desktop-environment' or 'sudo apt --reinstall install cinnamon-desktop'.

Sorry that I can't be more precise. If I get to a Mint system tonight, which is very unlikely, I'll take a deeper look to see if I can figure it out there.

A wired connection is easiest. The connection should just work. A wireless connection is possible from TTY. A search engine has all that information. You will need an internet connection to do this.

Staff online