Decided to treat myself for the festive season

Brickwizard

Reaction score
Credits
So as I haven't spent any dosh on my computers for a couple of years, I have ordered a 128gb SSD to go in my old dell SATA lappy, and a 120gb NVMe with PCIE adaptor for my main desktop [it only has one PCIE-16 slot], at this stage I do not envisaged any problems, I am expecting a seek time decrease of about 6X on the lappy, and something around 10X on the desktop. fingers crossed.

Let us know how it works for you, When I changed from HDD to SSD there was a good increase in speed. Will most likely never go back to HDD again. Happy Holidays :)

When I changed from HDD to SSD there was a good increase in speed
Yes; should be 4 x Faster at loading apps and saving to drive.
IMHO much better value than spending on RAM unless you are regularly hitting Swap Zone ;)

Ok so I made a cock up thanks to E-bay, I searched "NVMe M2." The item came up, so I order it, when it turned up it wasn't NVMe it was SATA, so it's going back, I have found the right one on offer [different supplier] but waiting to here if they still have stock

Sorry to hear you are having a spot of bother – I wrote earlier…

Though I could afford to buy better – I considered this to be exceptional value at about £20...

https://www.teamgroupinc.com/en/product/gx1

https://www.teamgroupinc.com/en/products/ssd/2.5-ssd/

So perhaps, better than second hand off eBay…? So easy to replace too...
SAM_1249.JPG

Good Luck digging out of snow :)

the NVME and the PCIe adaptor are new, the sata for the lappy is a cheap second hand one [it's not worth spending out for a new one or it would cost more than the lappy is worth]

I considered this to be exceptional value at about £20...

I have had exceptionally good luck with Team Group products. I have no complaints. I almost didn't try them because they were too cheap, almost too cheap to possibly be a good product.

I decided that I'd risk it. I've since purchased a variety of their storage hardware and have zero complaints about any of them. I haven't had a bad device in the bunch - and I've purchased at least a couple dozen products from them. (Mostly thumb drives, 'cause I hand those out like candy.)

UPDATE... thanks to the UK postal strike, I am still waiting for the PCIe adaptor for the desktop that was due last Friday'

The second hand SSD for the lappy arrived at 2pm my time, fitted and OS re-installed clean, not getting the full speed due to having SATA2 [the SSD is SATA3] however load time and shutdown time is around 4x faster.Timeshift was very quick on its installation run as well... pleased so far

forgot to say the second hand SSD is a Kingston

second hand SSD

I have never felt the urge to buy used storage devices. I'd definitely run the extended tests on it, which you can do through Gnome Disks - which is just 'Disks' in the application menu.

I've used these in others computers.

Ain't never heard no complaints or had no problems with them.

I highly recommend if using in a desktop to mount a fan across them SSDs do seem to run hot under hard use.

Ya can't beat them for cost and 3 year warranty can't go wrong imo.

I have never felt the urge to buy used storage devices
I have had many over the years not had any problems, as I said buying new isn't worth it for this lappy
I highly recommend if using in a desktop to mount a fan across them SSDs

I have a new NVMe for the desktop 250 GB only 20 quid [24.30 usd] just waiting for the PCIE adaptor

I highly recommend if using in a desktop to mount a fan across them SSDs do seem to run hot under hard use.
Phew - you panicked me into checking temperatures - 61 degrees across all zones.
No reason for panic just food for thought.

The PCIe adaptor finally arrived at lunchtime, took me a while to assembly the NVMe on to it [stubby old fingers and crappy small screws] put the assembly into the desktop, switch on and great it was recognised no problems, So I set it up to install LMDE5, hit the install button, set location and time, and went out for a couple of minuets for a smoke, came back and it had already installed, fast or what!!!!!!
Although I was not expecting to get full power from the MVNE as I only have PCIe2, but the figures speak for themselves, My SATA3 disc spinner is running at 6gbs the MVNE is running at 31,6 gbs

I do have one problem
I can't make the HP primary boot from the MVNE as it is listed as a legacy device and wont let me move it in front of the UEFI devices, any thoughts.

So I set it up to install LMDE5, hit the install button, set location and time, and went out for a couple of minuets for a smoke, came back and it had already installed, fast or what!!!!!!

LOL I told you so! Well, I assume you've read it at least one of the times I've mentioned it. It's INSANE how quickly it installs. I just did an install the other day, the day after the snow storm, and the write-to-disk portion takes like 3 minutes for Lubuntu 22.04. Literally, like 3 minutes!

I will never buy anything else - until something better comes along. Instead of shaving 3 seconds off your boot time, just move to NVMe SSDs. The amount of time you save just during the installation process is equal to hundreds of boots. (Plus it speeds up the boot time in and of itself.)

It's like racing... Sure, you can spend 10 laps catching up at 0.2 seconds a lap - or you can save 5 seconds in the pit by not making mistakes and going faster than others. (F1 pit stops mostly not included in this analogy. Those guys are just blazing fast.)

I do have one problem
Got it.. Re-downloaded LMDE 5 and re-burnt the pen drive, this time I got 2 entries for the USB stick one under UEFI and one under Legacy I chose to install the UEFI and it worked the desktop now shows a normal grub screen with Debian and Ubuntu. now all I have to do is set up my apps and e-mails [no rush now its working,]

There's nothing like replacing a HDD with an SSD in an old Laptop.
m1203.gif

My 10 year old Laptop had a 7200 rpm HDD...it now has a new 500GB SSD and a clean install of Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.3 and is so much faster.
m1211.gif

There's nothing like replacing a HDD with an SSD in an old Laptop.

If you haven't yet experienced it, wait until you see the difference between your SATA SSD and an NVMe M.2 SSD. The difference between those two is more than the difference between your spinning platter HDD and a SATA SSD.

It's insane. It's awesome. They weren't kidding when they mentioned that the write portion of the install took just a few minutes. I kinda want to record it just to show people, but I don't need to do a clean installation. I'll try to record it next time I need to.

the install took just a few minutes.
the time I take to smoke a minature cigar is around 3 minuets , Now everything has settled down on the desktop, I need to install a NVMe into my brain to keep up with it
GuksxMydCVPtOBFhKrhX.gif

Members online