Debian Linux

Bentleyy

Reaction score
Credits
Hi all,

I am new to Linux but have experience in computers mainly with Windows OS. I am very much interested in Debian Linux.

Could anyone tell me whether Debian is easy for a beginner level Linux user?

Also wanted to know that whether games are available in Linux, especially with Debian Linux.

Thanks in advance,

Bentleyy.

Debian's target audience is actually people who know what they are doing already but you can always try to see and how far you get, I but I think now days most people should be able to start with Debian if they want. It was from back in the earlier days not a lot of hardware would work out of the box and you would have to figure out how to get it working. As for your question about gaming, because Debian is known for it's stability they are behind on software so Debian isn't the best distribution to be gaming on because most games require more up-to-date library for better performance. If I were you being a beginner I would have a look at PopOS since their whole focus is making gaming on GNU/Linux easier.

Last edited:
Could anyone tell me whether Debian is easy for a beginner level Linux user?
that would very much depend on the distribution you choose and your equipment, , as a beginner steer clear of the cutting edge builds based on Debian testing so look at MX linux, Mint LMDE4, Elementary os, but don't discount Ubuntu based distributions [Ubuntu is based on Debian with more tweaks] the choice is endless, one of the many versions of Mint 20, or Ubuntu itself may be the friendliest for ex-windows users, also your equipment specification could play a big part in your choice.

bwiz

Debian's target audience is actually people who know what they are doing already but you can always try to see and how far you get, I but I think now days most people should be able to start with Debian if they want. It was from back in the earlier days not a lot of hardware would work out of the box and you would have to figure out how to get it working. As for your question about gaming, because Debian is known for it's stability they are behind on software so Debian isn't the best distribution to be gaming on because most games require more up-to-date library for better performance. If I were you being a beginner I would have a look at PopOS since their whole focus is making gaming on GNU/Linux easier.

Thank you

that would very much depend on the distribution you choose and your equipment, , as a beginner steer clear of the cutting edge builds based on Debian testing so look at MX linux, Mint LMDE4, Elementary os, but don't discount Ubuntu based distributions [Ubuntu is based on Debian with more tweaks] the choice is endless, one of the many versions of Mint 20, or Ubuntu itself may be the friendliest for ex-windows users, also your equipment specification could play a big part in your choice.

bwiz

Thank you

Members online