Debian installation Problem

DeanSum

Reaction score
Credits
I hope this is the right place.

I downloaded debian-10.2.0-amd64-netinst to a flash drive. Then burned it to a cd. I ran the cd and it seemed to go through an installation procedure. When it got to the end it said remove the cd and it will finish installing. All I get now is a blinking curser in the upper left hand corner. If I turn the computer off and then on, all I get is the blinking curser. what am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Did you download an iso file for a net install and then create bootable cd.

If using Windows to create bootable media you can use infrarecorder to WRITE IMAGE to the cd and not copy.

Once you have created bootable cd media than insert it into the drive tray and restart your computer and while holding down the function key which takes you to your boot menu.

You can also boot from the cd by entering your bios and setting your CD Drive to be first boot device.

Last edited by a moderator:

I downloaded debian-10.2.0-amd64-netinst to a flash drive. Then burned it to a cd. I ran the cd and it seemed to go through an installation procedure. When it got to the end it said remove the cd and it will finish installing. All I get now is a blinking curser in the upper left hand corner. If I turn the computer off and then on, all I get is the blinking curser. what am I doing wrong?

Thanks
You do know that the netinst.iso doesn't ship with any graphical desktop, don't you? Is it only a blinking cursor or is there a prompt too? Something like
Code:
debian-buster$~_
if this is what you're seeing then it is totally fine, you'll have to install everything; desktop and apps cause at the moment you just installed a bare-bones debian system. https://www.debian.org/CD/netinst/index.en.html
A network install or netinst CD is a single CD which enables you to install the entire operating system. This single CD contains just the minimal amount of software to start the installation and fetch the remaining packages over the Internet.
If you're just being presented with a blinking cursor and no prompt then most likely the ISO wasn't properly burnt into the CD, try again, double-check that everything's ok and see if this time it works as intended. Why don't you use a USB instead? Your pc doesnt have that option?

Hope this helps! :)

A flashing underscore is normally associated with a graphics problem.

What is the make and model of your computer? Or, can you give us the basic specs?

Do you by any chance have an Nvidia Graphics card?

You do know that the netinst.iso doesn't ship with any graphical desktop, don't you?
Actually a net install does come with a graphical installer or a text installer.

The net installer does just what it says installs from the net.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually a net install does come with a graphical installer or a text installer.

The net installer does just what it says installs from the net.

Every single Debian .iso comes with a graphical and a text installer which you can choose at boot, that's not the same as to say that in a netinst.iso you'll find a graphical desktop i.e, XFCE, KDE, GNOME cause you won't and that's what I meant you're just confusing one with the other. In order to have a graphical desktop you have to install it along with all of it dependencies.

I installed Ubuntu 19.10\Eoan Ermine using a flash drive which I had from before.

I looked for an iso file for Debian and was not successful. My failure. I downloaded debian-10.2.0-amd64-netinst again but that is not the file I needed as it didn't work. Anyway, I am happy with 19.10\Eoan Ermine. I really appreciate all the responses! What a forum!!!

Thanks!

Every single Debian .iso comes with a graphical and a text installer which you can choose at boot, that's not the same as to say that in a netinst.iso you'll find a graphical desktop i.e, XFCE, KDE, GNOME cause you won't and that's what I meant you're just confusing one with the other. In order to have a graphical desktop you have to install it along with all of it dependencies.

OK my mistake :oops: old age and poor eye sight it will probably happen to you when you get old.:p

A flashing underscore is normally associated with a graphics problem.

What is the make and model of your computer? Or, can you give us the basic specs?

Do you by any chance have an Nvidia Graphics card?
The netinst.iso will boot into text mode by default, I'm not expert and might be wrong but I don't think that applies in this case, does it? I'm asking cause I always thought that in text mode drivers didn't matter since there's no a "graphical environment" or at least it is at its very basic state; no mesa, no X. Hmmm ... something to investigate :)

OK my mistake :oops: old age and poor eye sight it will probably happen to you when you get old.:p
It's already happening! Only not as much as it has with you :cool:

I'm asking cause I always thought that in text mode drivers didn't matter since there's no a "graphical environment" or at least it is at its very basic state; no mesa, no X. Hmmm ... something to investigate

You will come to a window that says "Software Selection". If you uncheck everything except "Standard System Utilities" it will load text only. If you leave checked "Debian Desktop Environment", "Gnome", "Xfce", "Cinnamon", "Mate", "LXDE" or LXQt" it will load a GUI.

I ran the cd and it seemed to go through an installation procedure.
I suspect there is a GUI, but no firmware to support it, therefore no show

You will come to a window that says "Software Selection". If you uncheck everything except "Standard System Utilities" it will load text only. If you leave checked "Debian Desktop Environment", "Gnome", "Xfce", "Cinnamon", "Mate", "LXDE" or LXQt" it will load a GUI.

I suspect there is a GUI, but no firmware to support it, therefore no show
Hmmm ... I don't remember seeing that when I created my VM using the netinst.iso, I do remember seeing it in the Live one but not in the net.iso.

I am old. But my doctor says I have excellent vision and hearing......for my age. Whatever that means.

I am old. But my doctor says I have excellent vision and hearing......for my age. Whatever that means.
I'm not that old - 43 - but my sight is not as good as it used to be :(

Thanks
I tried to install Debian 10 with the netinst too and ended up without a desktop because of some mirror site could not be contacted during the installation.

Try Solus instead, the installation is much more reliable and easy.

Last edited:
I tried to install Debian 10 with the netinst too and ended up without a desktop because of some mirror site could be contacted during the installation.

Try Solus instead, the installation is much more reliable and easy.
Debian netinst method doesn't ship with a desktop, you have to install one after installing the system as well as any other apps you need.

Debian netinst method doesn't ship with a desktop, you have to install one after installing the system as well as any other apps you need.
You choose a mirror during the installation and then select what desktop options and other software you want. I looked it up in various articles on installing Debian 10 using the netisntaller, as well as Average Linux User's youtube video on the same subject.

You choose a mirror during the installation and then select what desktop options and other software you want. I looked it up in various articles on installing Debian 10 using the netisntaller, as well as Average Linux User's youtube video on the same subject.
Precisely my point, it doesn't ship with a desktop by default, meaning you can opt to install just text mode and from there install everthing else which is quite faster and much more reliable.

Members online

Latest posts